1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme V woes, will Fisher back them up???

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by LB Landscaping, Apr 6, 2008.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

:angry::angry:Well not sure if any other areas are dealing with ALOT of the new Xtreme V's breaking but it seems like an epidemic here in Maine. Everyone I have talked to that has one has had problems with them. The center pin seems to be the big problem along with the rams breaking off at the pins. I am in my second winter with mine and hate the thing. I have been a die hard Fisher man for 10 myears and have owned 7 of the plows, after the experience I have had lately I dare say I will be switching brands next year.

My extreme V literally fell apart this winter. it is still under warrenty until October 2008. The center pin snapped causing both rams to break off. One ram desrtoyed the skin on the drivers side and the entire mold board is out of alignment. I brought it to my dealer who had it for 2 weeks to fix because Fisher wouldn't (or ran out) send the parts. Now that I have it back the thing is a piece of crap. The center hinge is tweaked leading to wear on the already troublesome center pin. The damaged skin didn't get replaced and my dealer said that Fisher wouldn't replace it. The top of the mold board and the cutting edge now hit together when in scoop mode so I had to space out the cutting edge which now leaves a huge trail when I plow. Basically the ting sucks. I brought it back to my dealer who told me flat out that they can't fix the plow and Fisher should have replaced the mold board. They claim that Fisher told them to heat up the center hinges and try to rebend them back into shape/alignment. I would think this would compromise the integrety of the steel. They also said that the parts they received were the same quality parts that broke in the first place and that it will happen again. Is Fisher goning to wake up and deal with this or are we all stuck with junk. My 6 year old EZV has been bullet proof this Extreme V is basically a boat anchor at this point, a $6000 dollar boat anchor.:angry::angry:
  2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

WOW thats terrible customer service! I have had Hiniker V-plows for years and they are still fixing stuff on my old one which has been out of warranty for 2 years.
    I guess it just shows if you want you customers happy...take care of them or they will go somewhere else!
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

is there a broken record playin or do these extreme vees have alot of problems

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

LB sorry to read about your troubles. I know where you're coming from since the 9'
    6" EZV I bought in November has had issues with the controler dying and having to be replaced after two storms.
    On another website I've read about a fellow in Wisconsin that recentley had the same problem as you did with the center pins. In fact he even mentioned that when he called Fisher for help they thought he was the guy from MAINE with the same problem. I guess they at least know about this problem but that isn't much consolation when you have a $6k boat anchor attached to your truck. Btw I have posted pics of my almost ten year old Fisher V plow with stress cracks in it in another thread. Even with that problem I would be thrilled to get the same length of service from my new EZV as I have with that plow. Not sure thats going to happen though.

Just thought I'd add that I think the MM2 mounts on these plows suck. The thickness of the steel itself looks (and bends) as if it is way undersized for the plow weight. I guess I'll be keeping my older V plow for some time.
  5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

JD I had the controller problem the first winter I had it, went through 5 controlers before they figured out that they needed to issue a recall been fine ever since.

There is obviously a problem with these things but they still won't fix them. Years ago Fisher was the only game in town around here but not any more. Looks like I (and everyone I know) will be looking for to swap brands. Fisher used to be a stand up company seems like they may be getting a too big to care about the customer!!!!
  6. NorwayAuto&Plow

NorwayAuto&Plow Senior Member

Here in New York... There are alot of Xtreme Vs Stainless Steels that were sold. NO Problems at all except for the first one sold witch was to nirvana water company. We always believed that the first year for anything is going to be junky. Give em a year to work out the problems.
    Being that you are in maine where the fisher plant is, they might of had some left overs from the first year that were sent to the dealers/ distributers. Hopfully well get a record high year for snow fall so we can test out these fishers to the fullest. THEY CAN TAKE IT!!! Just don't smash into any islands in the commercial parking lots. IT HURTS but the blade seems not to be harmed.
  7. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

I have had my 8'6" for 2 seasons and the only problem was the cuttin edges wearing quickly, my local (western) dealer that I buy my parts from warrany'd one for me so I bought another. Been great other than that....maybe I just got lucky!
  8. NorwayAuto&Plow

Fisher had a recall for those cutting edges... take it to your local fisher dealer and theyll give ya a new one for free! we let out customers use the bad ones for a year then have them bring em in... thats one less year on the good cutting edges! They probably take the recalled ones and melt them back down to make good ones anyway!
  9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Our Extreme V going into third year, and so far no problems

second season we did replace the cutting edges from the 2 piece to the four piece, got that under warrenty.
    Found the control wire to be broken just a couple days ago when moving things around in the shop, and thats wire was replaced in 3 mins at our dealer under the recall.

We did have a small o-ring leak which never stopped the blade from working, simple fix too.

Basically the blade has never stopped working or let us down in a storm, and it's moved alot of snow.
  10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

LB in another 2 months or so Plowsite usually has a one week Q & A thread with Fisher as well as the other major Mfgs. I would suggest keeping an eye out for it and you will get a straight answer right from Fisher management.
  11. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I can't get my dealer to replace my cutting edge! We don't really have dealers where I live so I had to have the plow shipped to me. Who do I need to contact about this issue? Mine is nearly gone and has only plowed probably 100-150 hours.
  12. NorwayAuto&Plow

I was told that when the plows came in i was to tell the owner and if he wanted the cutting edge swapt then i was to do it. The best I can tell ya is you need to get to a fisher dealer. I very busy right now so i'll just tell you to look on the fisher site and see if they had the recall posted on there somplace. Its worth a shot... then call them directly and they should direct you further.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There's no technical bulletins or recalls listed on the public side of the website, Maybe if a registered dealer signed on they could access technical bulletins and recalls but the general public cann't.

There are like 3 dealers in the entire state of MO, at least that Fishers willing to claim. you'd probably be better off contacting their customer service of technical staff directly.
  14. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Fish problem

Got any pics of the problems
  15. NorwayAuto&Plow

No... We need to send them back on the next load that comes in. Sorry.

Just imagine the bottom most part of the blade wear away after one season.
  16. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Larry over at CPW (Central Parts Warehouse) totally helped me with my edges. All I had to was take pictures and e-mail them to him. He contacted fisher and no joke, they warrantied them and he sent me new ones the same day. Crazy I know, but it worked for me. This was last season, however, and my edge actually broke at the bend in the center.

CPW also helped get my controller warrantied. I did have to buy another one and send my old one back, but I noticed that the amount I paid for the new one was credited back to my card within two weeks. So I figured, might as well buy a spare. Two for the price of one and fits in my plow box easily.

Those are the two problems I have had with my plow since new in 2006. I have hit some curbs pretty hard!! What a wake up call lol. My center pin seems to be in good shape and not wearing. I think that I may try to buy one as a back-up based on the first post of this thread. I don't know for sure, but I think that guy hit something REAL hard and it didn't move.
  17. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Are these problems only on the fisher eXtreme V or is Western with the MVP Plus also experincing this?
  18. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I just bought a new 8.5 extreme-v and they gave me the 4 piece cutting edge. How do I know if it is good or bad?
  19. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

The old cutting edges were one piece per side and the hardened steel was bent to make the curve. The new edges are the four piece design so I think they should be OK. No problems with my four piece design yet and I used them all last season. They also didn't wear badly. Maybe if you have some spare change (ya right lol) you can purchase a back-up set of edges pre-season and if your new ones break you can send them in or whatever without missing a beat. Also, make sure your plow is adjusted properly so that your edges wear evenly.
  20. NorwayAuto&Plow

Make sure that the center area doesn't colide with one another either when switching to v to scoop. You'll bend the base of the plow just enough to really piss a guy off when replacing the cutting edges down the road.