1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme V Problem

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Motorman 007, Jan 17, 2013.

1. I don't have a lot of experience with the multi-plex stuff so I figure you guys can steer me in the right direction. I have a friend with a 3 year old MM2 Extreme V 2 plug that intermittently stops all functions. He tells me that if he wiggles the plug ( I'm assume the control/lighting plug) he can get it to work. He bought a repair end at NAPA for $150?? (seems steep) Is this a common problem? I'm going to dig into it for him this weekend. Thanks.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

The connection between the plugs must be ovals out and just not finishing the circuit. I zip tie my connections since they get lose after long hours of plowing sometimes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I had an issue with my first multiplex setup years ago, I changed out the $100 section from the end control harness / batteries to the grill (part#'s truck side 42014 / plow side is 42015), and I never had an issue with it again. if there is any melting or ovaling in either side, they should be replaced. The truck side is around $100, the plow side $80.

I've found that the harness coming from the pump is way too long also, and needs to be routed around the headgear, and then back through facing the truck to avoid vibration separation during operation....that sounds funky....but you get the point. If he's getting flashing at the controller, with zero functions...this is most likely the issue. Instruct him to route it as shown below, and make sure to use boots when wiring isn't in use, and it will help eliminate the issue going forward.

[​IMG]

4. Thanks, Ryan, I'll start there....:mechanic:

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Also make sure the power/pump control cable is extending from the grill a few inches like Ryan's pic. Takes alot of strain off the cable ends compared to hard mounting it to the grill.

6. I haven't looked at it yet but I saw my friend today and he tells me that the connection he fiddles and wiggles is the 11 pin harness, not the battery/control harness . I'm fairly certain the grounds are in that harness. Has anyone heard of this???

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

Dave, the multiplex is the same in that regard, the ground circuit does have to be completed to activate the power to the controller. If he is in fact successfully regaining power by simply wiggling these connections, then I would examine the connectors, and the wires going into them, paying close attention to the black orange wires and corresponding pins....which is located on the #2 & #7 pins, I'll try and dig up a pin diagram for ya.

Short of that, make sure that the "B" harness on the ISO, and the square 4 port connector that runs off the control harness is fully seated. Again, if he is able to simply wiggle that 11 pin connection...I think you'll find that he either has a contaminated 11 pin connector(s), or one of them has a loose and or compromised pin / wire going into it. There are no repair ends unfortunately, 26357 for truck side, and 28213k for plow side.

Edit: Even better, I was able to find one with a corresponding chart....obviously flip flop for truck side appearance; This is plow side view.

[​IMG]

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I thought mine was the outside 11 pin. It isn't. It's the tiny -STUPID- little telephone wire type connector in the truck. I hold the fishstik in my right hand and shift with my right hand too- obviously. Every 3rd or 4th time I hit a control button........dead. Reach down, F#*@# with the connection, use it 3-4 more times, repeat..
    Why couldn't Fisher make it like my 2000 MM-1 straight blade connection? That one is a large prong type like a trailer light connection, and has a twist-lock as well. No interuption of signal with that one ever. Not sure what to do about it just yet, the plow is only 16 days old....and the dealer that sold it is 45 miles away over cruddy road.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

I've never had an issue with that connection, and I too operate the controller from my lap, it also hangs over my shifter all year long. I thnk once it takes a good hit, it will never be the same. Put it together, and seat it as far as you can, then wrap the connection joint with electrical tape....you'll probably never have an issue with it again.

10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Actually, I got frustrated and pulled it out some, rather than cram it together again..and it seems to work fine, but I did that 4 minutes before finishing my plowing. I didn't get to use it for any real time.
    I will eventually get real mad, cut the wires, and install a real connection.. Something substantial with a locking mechanism.

11. Thanks Ryan....as always your advice is most appreciated.
    What's your prediction on the lake freezing this year? I've got my sleds ready to go!

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

No sweet, anytime. :waving:

I'm not optimistic about it....losing hope on a daily basis. I'm looking out my window towards your side of the island this very moment...not even a glimmer of ice to be had. I haven't been over to the Raymond cape side for about 5 days now, but there was no signs of any over there either. Cold temps moving in, but it's getting late in the game for a good freeze. I'll keep ya posted though! Thumbs Up

13. I ended up replacing the 26357 harness yesterday. The #2 and #7 ground pins on the truck side were completely corroded away so literally no contact was being made. I guess this isnt a true multiplex system since it has a 3 port iso mod under the hood. All is well now.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Multiplex systems are ISO controlled too....well, as far as power anyway. The only difference in multiplex vs non multiplex is how the plow receives it's signal to operate each function. In the non multiplex system's there was one control wire for each valve on the plow...3 for straight blades, 10 for EzV..all straight from the controller right out to the plow's valves. With the Multiplex system there is only 2 wires, so the controller turns a function into a signal...or series of signals, like Morse code, and sends it out to the plow where the plow's ISO module decodes it, and sends power to the appropriate valve, or valves, to initiate the function(s). Take The XLS for example, it has 8 valves, but only 2 signal wires...hence where the word multiplex comes into play.

The truck's side ISO module simply controls the lighting system..and the power up process of the system as it always has. Hence your buddies problem..it couldn't maintain the ground circuit to keep the system powered up.

....Or were you just being sarcastic :D

15. I'll have to get back to you.......:laughing::laughing:

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

:laughing: Bastarddddd! :laughing:

17. Some days it's easier than others!!!!

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Making some ice now boys.....

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

I know right, Sebago has been "steaming" all day long. I'm seriously contemplating taking a quick trip to the sunny south. The lack of snow, and abundance of arctic air is far too much to bare.

20. I was watching the "steam" which is the same phenomenon as arctic sea smoke on the ocean on a couple of webcams yesterday. Just too much wind and it almost never stops. If it doesn't stop, there will be no ice again this year. Bummer. Most of Winnipesaukee is locked in now....

bare??? Dude, please keep your clothes on...:laughing: