1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme V owners READ!!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by pats plowing, Feb 16, 2007.

1. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

Do not let this happen to you. The new fishstik controllers from Fisher are defective and will stop working after minimal use. There are plans to create a new controller with a much beefier wire coming into the fishstik unit. If you have this plow call ur dealer and get it changed over now. Fisher decided to have the truck rewired and created a better controller inside the cab.
    As for me i am screwed. No one around here has the parts to fix this, Fisher has basically told me to screw. I attempted to resolder the wire to no avail. I've had it with Fisher this is bullsh^&& for a $5700 plow. I used it for 26 hrs total and it broke i will post pics in a day to show where the wires were corroded and snapped before they entered into the fishstik controller. All new stainless V plows had this poorly designed controller so get it replaced asap.
  2. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I just put a 8.5 Extreme V on my truck this year. I haven't had any trouble yet so I,m wondering if there is an official recall or just something you heard ? Is fisher willing to replace it with the standard controller?
  3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Umm Why are you getting corrosion inside the cab at the controller?
    I mean it's all sealed, on ours, and your not in weather in the cab?
    We've had no problems, have a long cord on the controller, so we are never really pulling tension on it.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

On a related note I was at my local fisher dealer today for some parts and they were saying they sold out of the angle rams yesterday and they were all for Xtreme V's he didn't explain why or how they broke.

I have a buddy who put one on a 4500 and 2 hours into the first storm of the year the pump crapped the bed!

I am happy with my 2 EZ-V's no complaints.
  5. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Glad I've got an EZ-V. Never had a single problem w/ it. Knock on wood,
  6. pats plowing

I dont know why there was corrosion inside the wire but there was a clean break by all 4 wires at the wire stitcher im going to borrow a camera to show you. Fisher was going to call me back two days ago ive called 3 times they are now closed and for the weekend and I heard possible snow on Sunday. This friggin blows I am not happy with Fisher at all. As far as a recall- look at where your controller plugs into the wire thru the firewall. If it has a white square on the end with 4 prongs inside then you have the old style like me and they dont even make it anymore. I should have been informed when this first happened :yow!:
  7. vortec5.7

vortec5.7 Member

try colonial chevy in acton ma or if they cant fix it go to tucks trucks gmc
  8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

So what your saying is the little white connector as broken on the controller side? If it mounted to far away from the operator you're pulling on it all the time. The tension on the coiled wire pritty strong and some guys will pull it hard to stretch it. If you worried about using the truck why not just go to any electronic place and a get two new real heavy duty connectors and replace them both. That would take about 15 minuets tops and you'll be done with it.
  9. Keltic

Keltic Junior Member

We are on the 4th hand held controller for our new Western MVP bought in Dec, I know Western is owned by Fisher. Similar controller? Similar problem, wires breaking where they exit the handheld unit. I bet they are made by the same crap company. Happy with the plow, pissed about the control!!
  10. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I've have my MVP for about 3 years and have never had an issue with the controller. Late last season I upgraded to the newer controller that had more buttons but never had a problem with either of the controllers...and it's in the cab all year long. Maybe that's the difference, I mounted mine to the dash and it never gets "tugged" on.
  11. Keltic

Keltic Junior Member

Maybe so, I'm sure my guy doesn't abuse it, but he does hold it in his hand, so it does get moved. I feel you should be able to do this. I think of my nieces and nephews beating each other with the ninteno controllers and pulling the game off the tv and around the room and think these units could be as sturdy for 7000 bucks. Cheers FMK
  12. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Easy solution: Get the joystick control. This way the control will notmove around much and the wires exiting the control will not get moved around and chaffed.
  13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I'm sorry I misunderstood. They break right were they go into the handheld unit. So there is insufficient strain relief were the wires bend.

Please post pics.

If you get a new improved one and the old one is no good to you. Based on what I may see in the pictures I may offer my services to repair it with a better solution of a strain relief just because I have a sick desire to fix things that can't be fixed. Then I'll post a repair mod for them for all to benefit.
  14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I went to the dealer 2 weeks ago, my right side lower pin keeps working its way out. The dealer said "well, keep an eye on it" WTF! how can I keep my eye on something outside? But if it comes out I'm screwed! the plow will fall off! But he did replace my controller and wiring. He said they were having problems with them. So far I've replaced the cutting edge, had the plow fall off once in my driveway, and a pin that keeps working its way out, all within 3 months of actual plowing/owning it. Well at least they replaced this potential problem. All I can say is if my plow falls off while driving or plowing, Fisher and the dealer are going to have on hell of a problem on their hands!!!!!!!!! Love the plow so far but things like this kinda make me a little leary.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  15. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

My edge is wearing REALLY fast. Did they warranty yours Brian? I took the shoes off for an ice storm and it wore all the way down to where they bolt on. My plow seems really slow too. One wing beats the other in and out. It won't really lift when stacking either, like it doesn't have the strength.
  16. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

You seem to have it the worest with the plow.
    On our side, not a single problem with it *knock wood*
  17. pats plowing

Here are some pics that i could snap real quick. Notice the actual width of the cord coming into the protector before the actual fish stick it is about half the thickness of my original fishstik on my older plow.

18. pats plowing

Well they didnt come out half as good as i thought but i couldnt get the light to stop reflecting off the cord. In between my fingers shows the 4 little wires that are all snapped and there is white powder (corrosion) surrounding where they enter into the wire stitcher or fat part of the cord.
  19. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I have this same problem. Also, when have load and angle side to side not enough pressure like straight blades. I brought it to my dealer to check and they turned up pressure for stacking, which help out. I have to ask not if he can turn it up for angleing now.
  20. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

It looks like you took out the strain relief all together when you attempted to repair it. So right after it the wire insulation it was slit open and you could see all the wires exposed? That sounds way to weird...Is it possible you may have done this were you wedged it in like a glove box and it rubbed in there tight and vibrated threw when it was stored? The white powder may have been from the rubbing on a plastic service.

FYI: What you are showing in the picture is the wire and stain relief. The strain relief should be replaced because the wires will break again from the flexing without it.