1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme V on Chevy Diesel???

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bisontrey, Nov 30, 2007.

1. bisontrey

bisontrey Junior Member

I am thinking of buying a extreme v for my 05 chevy 3500 dually diesel but the one dealer I went to said they won't sell it to me because it's to heavy for the truck an fisher does not recomend it. Is this BS or should I go a different way?

2. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Probably not. Chebys have IFS which can't handle big weight. I just put one on my new 08 F350 (solid axle 6000lbs GAWR). Get a FORD!

3. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

What cab do you have? Regular cab should be no problem. Quad/Ext cab maybe not. The 9.5 is about 150 lbs heavier than the 8.5. That could be the difference.

4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

idont think that "get a FORD" is the answer.

i will agree that the IFS does play a part in it. but the dealer is covering his butt also. how often is it going to be on the truck? all winter or just here and there? i know the dually is wide but maybe think about a smaller (width) plow.

5. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

Saw a 9' Fisher on a Duramax 4 door today. I think it was a 2500. I would think you'd be fine with your truck.

6. Yea, BUT YOUR TRUCK IS UGLY!!!!:yow!:

7. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

I have an 8.5 SS extreme v on my 2004 chevy crew cab duramax. Works awesome!! No problems either.....more than I can say about my 06 F350 King Ranch! Only with the cops weren't that strict about width or I would have the 9.5.

8. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

I had the same reservations as you. The FAWR on a diesel is 4800# and any plow will push it over that.
    Having said that, however, there are plenty of guys out there using our trucks for plowing. I just put a Fisher ExtremeV on mine. I had it put on by my GMC dealer who also sells Fisher plows. I figure he's have a tough time denying any waranty claims. He also cranked the T-bar 3 times to lift the front end. I think it should have been more times, personally.

9. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Just playin.

It will grow on you.

What is wrong with your 06? Diesel problems? Front axle problems? The 08's are completly redone.

10. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

What is wrong with your 06? Diesel problems? Front axle problems? The 08's are completly redone.[/QUOTE]

Engine problems(lack of power, injectors), transmission(slipping then rough shifting), Fuel mileage, I have heard mixed reports about the new 08's (poor mileage). I went and drove an 08 GMC and 08 F350...I'll sick with the GMC. I don't have a problem with ford's I just think that they either have gone slightly down hill or GM has picked up thier game

11. XLTRod

XLTRod Junior Member

I have a 02 duramax extend cab, with a EZV, it is pissa. Get a new dealer.

12. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

As long as you have the snow plow prep pkg you can put the plow on. They can't deny any warranty claim with plow prep- That's the answer I got straight from the dealer. Because who wants a duramax with a 7.5 foot poly on it right? Get the SS xtreme V. The 8.5 would be just right. (you'd only be overweight on the front axle with like 6 ppl in the cab, lol)

13. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

I don't believe you can get a diesel with a plow prep package.
    Having said that, I had my GMC dealer put on the 8.5 ExtremeV SS. Cranked the t-bars 3 times and I have no problems really. I am getting timbrens though because I put 265 BFGs on the truck and now it slightly rubs on extreme left turns.
    The plow is awesome!!!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  14. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My 05 Duramax Ext cab has the (VYU) Snow Plow Prep Package.

15. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

.... I don't think that's true for the '07 new style ... they changed the front end or something.But hey .... I am not arguing. If you think you can get an '07 new style Sierra Diesel, ext cab with a snow prep package that just fine with me.:D

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You may be right on the new body style not getting the VYU blessing from GM. But as you know 1000's of guys plow with non-blessed trucks. Warranty a 50K truck voided from a uncooperative dealer would be my only real concern.Hope you have a good dealer you work with. II was nervous voiding mine with bigger tires so I bought the 3500 rims and put on my stock 245's each time it went to the dealer when under warranty. If they can get away with not paying for something they will so save money in most cases.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  17. FLASHMAN

FLASHMAN Member

the issue with the GM's is the crew cab/Duramax combination... Even with the new trucks, GM WILL NOT allow you to order a crew cab truck with either the big V-8 OR the Duramax with a plow package. The VYU code becomes unavailable as soon as you select the Dura or 8.1. As a GMC owner who will be looking to get a new truck in the next year or so, I called GMC to ask them why. They told me that the front axle rating on the 2500HD/3500 trucks is not high enough to put that combination on a crew cab because TECHNICALLY, you COULD put 6 people in the cab and that would put you overweight.

When I said that was the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and you can TECHNICALLY do the same thing on an extended cab, which DOES give you the option of the VYU code AND the Duramax, they really didn't have much to say, other than, "well that's the way GM is doing it right now, and if I wanted to do that, it MAY void my warranty." It's up to the individual dealer at that point if there's a warranty repair.

Now we all know FULL WELL that these trucks CAN and DO handle the weight just fine. However, I'm not comfortable spending almost $50k on the truck I want, and then leaving myself at the mercy of some jerkoff service manager that doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground about trucks, if I have a problem with my truck.

I love my GMC, but because of my growing family, and the fact that I now tow heavier than I used to, AND I need to be able to handle a plow, GM isn't giving me an option. In fact the only maker of HD trucks that offers a true crew cab, diesel, AND plow package availability simultaneously, is Ford.

18. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

what I did is that I had my selling GMC dealer install the plow. They sell and install both Fisher and Boss. I paid more for the plow than from the local Fisher dealer but I figure that this might preempt any warranty issues. Be tough for them to deny any warranty claims based on equipment they installed. But I might be wrong .............

19. EJAM

EJAM Junior Member

I've had a 8'-6" V PLOW on my 01 chevy 2500hd since the truck was new. I now have 6 winters on it with no problems(besides normal wear). l plow a factory which is open 24 hours a day, and 2 private roads. My opinion is you sholud have no problem with putting one on but I am not the one who has to go to the dealer for warranty. Good luck. By the way my truck has ext cab with 8' bed.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  20. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

As long as its a regular cab dually, and has plow prep, no problem. Take a look at Dmax08's truck. His is a crew cab so maybe there is no prob. Here is who Im talking about: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=50155 It drops an inch w/ tbars cranked. Also you could add timbrens.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007