1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme V Frame problems

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by NEUSWEDE, Feb 11, 2008.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

My Extreme V that was new in the fall and has stress cracks on the A frame and a broken weld that from up close you can see didn't penetrate. The dealer is replacing but only after dragging their feet and a lot of excuses from Fisher saying this is wear and tear. I don't abuse my plows and have never seen problems like this on any other plow. So far my dealer says this is the 5 plow to come in with this in the past 2 weeks.
    Just wanted to give everyone with an extreme V a heads up to check for this. I only noticed it while I was tightening one of the bolts near it.

Pictures are of one side but it was the same on the other side. Doesn't seem like it is built very strong if it can be in this condition after only 2 months of use. This is on a 9.5 but I know of this happening on an 8.5 as well.

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

My advise would be to lay low and be happy you are getting a replacement. Last year someone got "overly" critical on here and ended up not getting their warranty replacement.
  3. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

That sucks.. but at least your getting it replaced and looks like you didn't loose any work from it. Did you wrap your hoses or does fisher come that way??
  4. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Comes that way.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Sorry I guess I work hard for my money and when I shell out money for a "better" plow I expect it to last. I guess I am more concerned about down time and what will happen when my warranty runs out on it and this stuff breaks again.

If a company is willing to pull my warranty because I want some answers I guess I take my business else where.
  6. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

I have 2 8.5's and one gets used hard by an employee and my is used hard but not abused. Niether shows any sign of letting me down. the only problem was the fishstik took a crap but got a new one ane works good as ever, maybe they had a bad run for a few weeks or something..???

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

my thought is bas steel they have had problems in the past with bad steel
  8. nathanlacourse

nathanlacourse Member

my 9.5 ex v broke the same place stacking snow my dealer said they are not made to stack snow with.which i think is a joke .
  9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Just a Thought.. But

the 9.5s come with the blade wing stops. and that crack seems to be right beside where the stops are attached. Maybe the wings coming back hard enough and hitting the stops is what's causing the stress.

Our 8.5 has had no problem, other then a small fluid leak which was due to a O-ring. easily fixed. the 8.5 does not come standard with the wing stops.

I looked over the blade and the frame not to long ago. and ther was no cracks or signs of stress. This is the second season for the blade.

And if that is the case, I would say they need to rethink how that stop works. Or do something to take out the hard it.

Technically I don't think any Blade is made for "Stacking" So saying thats not wrong. but in reality saying it just makes me laugh.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Yeah plows are for plowing, all manufacturers will say that. Stacking snow is for a machine with a bucket.

Of course in the real world you push equipment beyond what its made for. We all do it and when something breaks, you have to remember what its done for you.
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wonder why DD refers to the stops on the A-frame or headgear as "stacking stops" then. :confused:
  12. afalk

afalk Junior Member

Fisher Ext v

We have two 8.5 fisher plows here at our resort one which has been down a number of times. Same thing while stacking snow the stops failed and pushed the spring guide into the solonoid box. Also we have not had a bad year with snow but we are already into our second set of cutting edges. anyone else having this problem.
  13. nathanlacourse

nathanlacourse Member

i've also had a leaking o ring, two leaking cylinders because of bad welds and two bent center cutting edges. another thing when pushing snow to the side at the end of a run the blade does not have enough power to straighten out
  14. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I haven't noticed anything wrong with my 9.5 x-v but thanks for the heads up. Mine did not come with the stops as they are now considered an add-on. I was considering getting them but now I think I could make a pair and maybe add some rubber to cushion the impact. Are they a good idea?
  15. nathanlacourse

nathanlacourse Member

mine 9.5 did not come with the stops either

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

The 9.5 comes standard with the Stops. If you didn't go back to the dealer. Fishers website states that they do. They didn't put them on mine, I went back and they put them on at no charge because they are standard for the 9.5 only an option for the 8.5
  17. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Option for 7.5 and 8.5
  18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have a fiend that works for a major plow manufacture, Not Fisher. He said they are getting parts made in China because it 's cheaper and the steel and welds are not as good. I wonder were these are made? Or is it just a design flaw that needs to be improved?