1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme V F350 SD

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by waorgany, Feb 27, 2008.

1. waorgany

waorgany Junior Member
    from NY

I just bought a new 08 F350 but I did not get the snow plow package. Will I be able to mount and use an Extreme V on my truck, or will I need to add more (new) springs up front. My truck is a Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, with 6.8l V10. Does any one have this plow mounted on a simular Ford, how do you like it ect... and what is the best controller to use? I am thinking about the fish stick, the kids always like them with fries. Thanks in advance. Happy Snow....ussmileyflag

2. Chevy 2500 hd

Chevy 2500 hd Member

You can always do a ematch on fishers site. I dont know about fords but I know when I asked the local dealer how much to put a plow on my chevy crew cab they get all no you cant do it you will be over weight and all this bs. I just have an 8ft x blade right now but most likely going to get an extreme v for next year. Id imagine the most you would have to do for your front end is put some timbrens if it saging bad My buddy has an 8.5 extreme on his 1 ton single rear wheel put timbrens in the front doesnt go down at all

3. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I am not 100% sure but I would say your fine. I put an 8.5' on my 08 and the thing rocks. The truck could handle three of them! I think the plow prep package is basically BS and it's just an upgraded sway bar or something alon those lines. Either way I am almolst positive the axle carrying capasity is the same whether you have the plow prep or not. These 08 SD's ROCK. They can handle the XV no problem.

4. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

My 06 has the plow package and the door sticker rates the front end a 5200#. From what I can tell, joystick users prefer the joystick and fishstick users prefer the fishstick. I have the fishstick and like being able to hold it in my lefthand. Some others here have pointed out that may lead to shifting between forward and reverse too fast. I dunno, I think I'm careful about it. Course I'm old and slow.

5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Did I miss something? I could have sworn the front ends were Coils....not leafs???? Did they go back after the 2005-2007 swing?

6. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

You should be able to either get the dealer to swap out the Coils for either 5600 or 6000lb rated ones. Or you can get them from the dealer and put them in yourself.

7. waorgany

waorgany Junior Member
    from NY

Thanks everyone, think I am going to go ahead and get the Extreme V 8.5 with a fishstick, I will try it the way the truck sits now and if need be I will add (what I call springs) coils 6000 lb up front. But like Bronco says these 08's rock!!!

8. Plow Prep Package

Be aware of 1 thing--If you need warranty work, the dealer might refuse you if they see a plow setup, and the truck DOES NOT have the plow prep package. It's their way of getting out of a warranty repair. They will blame it on the fact that the truck was overloaded, even though the repair has nothing to do with the fact that there is a plow setup on the truck.

EXAMPLE---Your driver's window motor goes bad---It's because you have a plow on the truck without the plow prep package, and overloaded the front end !!!

RON

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  9. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

Up Grade

Your Ford dealer can get the parts and install them so that you have a snow plow prep package on it. Ford has had parts to make the super-duties snow plow prep equiped since the 05 model year., It is more expensive then getting it from the factory, but it can be done.

10. ==========================================
    Yes, he can get a Ford dealer to change the front springs, the fan clutch, and put on a steering stabilizer, but the truck STILL DOES NOT have the FACTORY PLOW PACKAGE---The key word is FACTORY.