1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme V electrical connections

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by c&msnowplowing, Jan 18, 2010.

1. c&msnowplowing

c&msnowplowing Junior Member

Hey all, new to this forum and wanted to ask if anyone was having trouble unplugging the two electrcal whips from the plow. One unplugs easily, but the connector with the "mini pins" is very hard to disconnect. I had to bend the plugs from side to side to get them unplugged. A simple fix for me was to take a dremel tool with a grinding stone and take down the "ridge" that locks the plugs together and then "zip tie" the plugs to the plow frame so as not to vibrate them loose. Other than that , I believe Fisher is the best on the market. Hydraulics are fast and strong, and hook-up and dismount are simple and easy. Our local distributor (Gilco-Watertown N.Y.) is very helpful and always has the parts you need. I have recommended this brand and dealer to fellow workers and they have purchased A fisher plow recently. Best on the market in my opinion and I have been doing this for 20+ years. Just sold my old 92 pickup with a minute mount 1 and it is still working perfectly......just replaced the original pump motor last year.

2. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

Mine sucks to disconnect too and I have it greased up good with dielectric grease.

The Main power plug is simple.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I find that when they are cold they are worse. They need to be tight to stay connected and keep moisture and water out. Every plug on every plow I have messed with (including other brands) has been like this to some extent. Best thing to do is keep them clean and greased. We get our trucks inside so that often helps as they warm up. I have also used a heat gun or hair dryer on the plugs to soften up the rubber so they come apart. I would avoid using an open flame.

4. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Mine seams to be working fine but the plow is new and the dealer filled the plugs with silicone grease from the looks of them . They pull apart smoooooothly with very little effort. But who knows maybe as the years go by they will develop same problems as yours??? The Fisher Plow is still the Rolls Royce of plows in my view as well.............

5. c&msnowplowing

Not sure where to post this question so I will ask the loyal Fisher fan club. What tires would you recommend for those in this business? I have tried several brands including Cooper, Firestone, Bridgestone, and BF Goodrich. This year I switched to the General Grabber AT2. In my opinion the best by FAR!! Anyone who is wondering what to buy.....try these tires. I have a set of 10 ply on a 03 Ram 2500 with limited slip front and back axles. Even with a full blade of snow they provide superb traction. Just food for thought!

6. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Seeing how this is your thread, I guess it's ok to switch topics. Normally, you would start a new thread for a different question. Are you looking for an all-season tire or a set of studded tires to plow with in the winter?? I plan to buy a set of Mastercraft MSR's studded for my Dodge next winter.
    The tires on my 1/2 ton are about done and for an all-season I am seriously considering the Goodyear Duratrac's.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What other brands have you owned or used?

8. c&msnowplowing

suggested tires for plowing

Like I said, I am new to the site and was just wondering what others use for tires. I highly suggest the Generals. I have people ask me what is the best tire for trucks and seeing as I plow snow they assume I have the answer. I was wondering what others use and recommend. I looked for a different place to post my opinion but with dial up it was taking forever! I did see a set of Mastercrafts a garage the other day and liked the tread design, but according to the salesman he could not get them in 10 ply. I for one am not a fan of all seasons for plowing.

9. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I was just letting you know how do it next time bud, I don't care what or where you post :laughing:
    That may be true, I don't know if they have 10-ply in all sizes, probably not.
    My opinion is that a plow truck should have a set of studded snow tires for plowing. I realize this is not necessary for everyone but they really make a difference. The Duratracs ARE studdable but I wouldn't pay that much for a set of plow tires. The Mastercrafts are much cheaper and nice and agressive. Of course, they won't last nearly as long so I would not buy the MSR's for anything but a winter set.
    Case in point- I bought a set of MC MSR's studded for my Dodge plaow truck. I have a set of Michelins for the other 8 months.
    My daily driver 1/2 ton will have a set of Duratracs in a month or so...........

:drinkup:

10. c&msnowplowing

I have had western and meyers, but know others who own Blizzard, snow way , boss and hinicker. The boss and hinicker are great according to what I have been told, but Blizzard and snow way are not, so I am told. Trip design, electrical problems and frame problems are some of the complaints. Fisher has been very dependable and easy to get parts. It's kind of like Ford, Dodge, or Chevy....you stick with what you have good luck with. As far as my experience with western and meyers....trip design was most frustrating for me. We get wet heavy snow frequently here and taking half a blade of snow per pass is not productive especially when doing parking lots.