1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme v cutting edges

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Evan Freiling, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Evan Freiling

Evan Freiling Junior Member

Can someone please tell me where I can get new cutting edges for my 8.5 extreme v.The center has about 2" and the ends have maybe 4". I was looking for the new four piece design. And are the cutting edges recalled .The plow is an 06, and my local dealer can't do anything. And the dealer that did the install will olny supply the two piece at my cost. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would call around to anyone that sells Fisher parts. Our local Napa carries them, and many auto dealers. It sounds like your dealer is stuck with some 2 piece edges and is trying to get rid of them. I wore out the original 3/8 inch 4 piece edge real fast last year. Replaced with a 1/2 inch 4 piece, which is lasting much better. I have heard of a few people getting new edges, but I don't know. I'd be suprised if you get one, with your plow being two years old. I plan on buying at least one cutting edge a year.

3. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Call CPW (cental parts warehouse) and talk to Larry or Bob. They will help you get the four piece. Since your edges are not broken, they will not be warrantied. At least I am pretty sure of that. My original two piece set broke in the center just before the bend. I took pictures and e-mailed them to Larry. Got the four piece in three days, no charge, no shipping. I also did not have to deal with Fisher.

Your edges are not wearing properly because the plow is not adjusted correctly. I would say if you had the plow installed by a dealer and have not re-adjusted it since, then you may have a leg to stand on. I doubt they will help you though. You need to go through your installation instructions and locate the section on plow adjustment. If you don't adjust your plow properly, you will burn through your next set of edges. There are many EXV owners on this site who will attest to that!!

4. Evan Freiling

Thanks for the info. About how much am I looking at for the 1/2" 4 piece.After its adj. correctly ,how long do you think they will last.And will the curb shoes help any?

5. Evan Freiling

Thanks BK, getting the manual out now and checking on how to adj. Adj. properly what should the life expectancy be?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I was quoted about $250 for a kit this year for "Genuine Fisher". It's hard to say how long they will last, it depends on how many drives you have, hot top vs gravel, your plowing style, etc. Based on your wear pattern, I guess you do most plowing in Vee, or scoop if your A-frame angle is WAY off. From my reading, it seems most people experience "smiley facing" on their edges. Ends and curved pieces worn more than middle of each side. That's what mine are doing. That would be consistent with more Vee and Scoop time than straight time. I heard the curb shoes stink, just hold the blade up. You may consider putting the backdrag kit on at the same time as a new edge. That should help your edge last longer, though the total dollars spent per season would probably work out the same. Cutting edges are simply another expense of plowing, there's no way around if if you want to do good work.

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

My dealer FINALLY sent me a new 4 piece free as a recall. My old edge still has a tad left, but it sure did go quick!