1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

extreme V cutting edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ratherbfishin, Oct 21, 2011.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

As some of you know,I pulled the trigger on the "V"...my first one?? So it comes with a 3/8" cutting edge.Replacement options are 3/8,1/2,& 5/8".Are there any pros or cons other than life span to a thicker edge?

Also,are there any quirky characteristics to the Fisher "V" similar to what I have read about with the Boss "V" ?

I am looking forward to trying this beauty out,but I am also a little skeptical ! Goofing around with it,the only thing I don't care for is when you scoop or V and then try to get the plow back straight.Seems like it should have a stop or something at straight;am I missing something?

2. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Put your plow either in full scoop or full vee by hitting one of the round buttons at the top. Then hit one of the round wing buttons at the bottom of the control until the wing you're moving bottoms out at the end of its stroke and the plow is in a straight, but fully angled position. Now, your blade wings are locked together and by hitting either the angle right or angle left button, your v-plow is operating just like a straight plow.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

On each of my trucks I go through about 1 per season (about 150-200 hours doing mostly parking lots)... I use the 1/2" to a tune of $350 a pop..... they arn't cheap!... the only thing I've noticed is the right halfs take about a second or 2 longer to get into the scoop position...called the dealer and he said thats normal...Good luck , you'll love them!

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

When you replace add Winter Xtendors or another form of wear system with the cutting edge, I have had good luck with saving cutting edges.

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Mike,
    I always wondered if those things actually worked.... how much do they extend your edges and whats the costs of them?

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Search for the post I did years ago where I was b!tching at Fisher directly, it makes for some good rearing,lol. All is good now and as far as the plow goes it takes a few times out with it to master it just like everything else. Personally I think a 3/8 cutting edge is crap! Our new one came with one and I give it 2-3 storms until it starts wearing badly just like the old one did. They replaced the one on the older V blade with a 1/2 and added Meyer curb guards (I would recommend those) and that lasted almost 2 season's. Like Mick said they are expensive to replace so after a few storms be sure to check the wear on it. We just buy the OEM Fisher replacement edges and they cost us 280.00. In short, NEVER had an issue with the plow just the cutting edges.

7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The Winter Xtenddors are about $ 125, you may have drill them with your bolt pattern. I started using them i think three seasons ago haven't had to change an edge yet. Probably have 200 + hrs on them. I had the holes cut, when they did it they pattern it flush with the bottom of the edge, ideally I would have liked them slightly lower, they didn't start wearing fully until the cutting edge had started to wear down. It is kinda hard to explain. As for cheaper places CPW has been significantly less than my local dealer, we no located a place the builds them localally as well

8. ratherbfishin

All good info;Thanks! John,I get it now.That makes alot of sense.I knew there had to be a good way to get bake to straight.

Are the 5/8 edges worth the extra $$$$ ?
    Are there any internet/cheaper places to get the edges other than the dealer?

9. Brian Young

I never even knew they had a 5/8 cutting edge,lol. How much are they?

10. ratherbfishin

No Idea...fairly sure the dealer said 3/8,1/2 & 5/8 !

11. Brian Young

Well like I said, our other V blade has the 1/2 with those curb guards and it lasted about 2.5 seasons and I averaged about 200+ hours of plowing a season with that truck. The only reason we took it off half way through last season is I, yes ME put that truck in a ditch back dragging and it bent the center pin a bit and never plowed right after that so a week later it went in for needed replacement pin and the cutting edge had about 2-3 inches left so I just said replace everything (I had money then,lol).

12. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Should of kept the old ones, I finally got smart & started keeping them, can always use for a quick change on a weekend or scrap steel for patches etc