1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

extreme v controller problems

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 04chevy2500, Sep 16, 2012.

1. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

i just put an extreme v on my 06 dmax. the plow is used but i saw it working before i bought it . when i use a different controller the plow works fine but my controller doesnt. when i turn it on the light blinks but no response. is the controller bad or could it be a simple fix?
  2. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Well how new is the plow? Does it have security guard on it?

It could be your controller is bad, if other 4 pin v controllers work
  3. 04chevy2500

plow is an 09. ive tried hooking the plow up to a security locked truck and controller and it still works. the plow works on my truck with the security controller and an older one so thats why i assume the controller. the power light still blinks though
  4. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah sounds like something is wrong with that controller
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If the light is blinking,,,not good. Get nother controller
  6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea, the light's not supposed to blink.
  7. 04chevy2500

it works with a different controller so i figured it bad. just didnt know if it was a simple fix in the controller that i could get worked on or if i should just buy a new one

CT-TILEMAN Member

If it is a four wire plug the problem is most likely where the wires go into the base of the controller.

The four wires are cheap and small in size and break easily, I have fixed mine three times in five years, finally I grew tired of fixing it and took it apart and soldered in a" four wire" speaker wire replacing the whole harness from the controller to the plug.

Since I upgraded the wiring it has worked fine.

Use a continuity tester and I bet the wires have no continuity or a few do not.

Good Luck
  9. 04chevy2500

is there any way to test them all at once? since theres the possibility that the controller is bad should i open it up and then try and pin on a tester? otherwise im not sure how to test the whole system. thank you for the help so far.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Testing them all at once wouldn't reveal an individual failure. Test each wire one at a time
  11. 04chevy2500

how would i do that? plug the tester into a positive lead and then try each one of the four leads? sorry but my wiring skills are lacking
  12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry to say but if ur wiring or electrical skills ain't that good,,,let a pro do it. U can fry a controller if u pwr or gnd in the wrong spots

CT-TILEMAN Member

Open the controller, AT YOUR OWN RISK, carefully unplug the connector from the circuit board and then use a continuity tester to ohm or tone each wire from the controller connector to the harness connector and check the wires one by one.

If you have an open circuit or no tone then you have a bad wire.

The break usually occurs where the controller wires exit the rubber boot at the bottom of the controller.

It is a 15 minute fix, all you need is a digital tester, a test light won't work.
  14. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

I had the same problem... Green wire was broke. Just splice it back together and good as new... Until the red black or white wire breaks LOL

Did Fisher fix this problem? Are the new V controllers still 4 pin?
  15. Tyler Jones

Tyler Jones Junior Member

A New coil cord is part number 96464, it could be the cord or PC board....

A rapid flash indicates that security guard is active.

A slow/steady flash means no communication between the control and plow module.

Could be anything in between but we know it is the control since you has success with a different control obviously.