1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme V... Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by premier homes, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. premier homes

premier homes Member

I Purchased 2 new plows for this season for my commercial snowplow business(mostly shopping centers). one was last years model EZ-V, and one this years model EXTREME-V. Both of My plows have the same amount of plow time on them, and the EZ-V has been great. But on the other hand the EXTREME-V has been the total opposite. In the three months of plowing this year The EXTREME-V has been back to the dealer FIVE times. THREE times were For the Faulty controller cable issue which they finally solved. ONE time it had to go back because the light duty pitch locks Sheared off causing the lift chain to break a hole in the control module. So my dealer replaced the control module, and made New Heavier duty pitch locks.
    Now, We are plowing a sad little TWO inches of snow and my EXPERIENCED driver sees that he is leaving trails through the center of the blade, So he gets out to look and sees that the left wing is Tipped forward. So he radios me over to him to see. What i see is that the center pin has sheared off and bent, and the angle cylinder broken at the pin due to stress. So we took the wing off so it didnt fall off and took the unit to the dealer, who took pictures and contacted Brian Simmons at fisher engineering for approval to repair.
    So my dealer replaces the left wing and centerpin and angle cylinders and cutting edges and calls me to pick up. So i go to get it and upon inspection i find cracks in the A frame and on the lift arm.
    So I called Brian Simmons of FISHER ENGINEERING to tell him about the cracked welds, and he tells me that because i posted 2 Pics and a reply to a tread on this website that they are no longer covering any warranties on my 5 Month old plows.
    The new EXTREME -V are EXTREMELY WEAK, and the QUALITY has been COMPROMISED. Now i have 2 plows that have cracks in the lift arms, and they probably wont cover either of them because the didnt like that i exposed the problems with their new plow line.
    All i am doing is giving feedback to fellow snowplow owners of my experiences with this plow.
    Before i purchased my 2 fishers i owned 2 curtis snowplows that i didnt have half of theese problems with.
    so if anyone would like more info, you can reach me at (315) 436-3766.
    I THINK IT IS PRETTY SAD WHEN A MANUFACTURER DOESNT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS.:nono: I WILL UPDATE THIS POST AS NEW INFO IS AVAILABLE.
    Lets see what the BBB and my attorney has to say about it.

extreme v 015.jpg

2005 dodge truck 020.jpg

2005 dodge truck 021.jpg

2005 dodge truck 022.jpg

2005 dodge truck 023.jpg

2005 dodge truck 024.jpg

2005 dodge truck 025.jpg

2. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

That's the lamest excuse for not covering a warranty that I have ever heard.

Is this detailed in the warranty...I doubt it. How does posting pics of a broken plow void the warranty. Not to accuse you, but did you happen to "bad mouth" them when you posted the pics that he is referring to? Even if you did, I don't think that should have any bearing on warranty coverage as I feel you were most likely just venting your displeasure with your new plows breaking. To me, it's kinda like a whistle blower and the "boss" ain't likin' it. Doesn't he realize that this is just going to cause more people not purchase their products if they don't stand behind them? If he would've just fixed it and sent you on your merry way, the PR would've been much more positive.

I would not stop until I was completely satisfied with the repairs.

Keep us posted.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  3. premier homes

premier homes Member

Thanks for your support. i realy dont think i bad mouthed them in my post, but you can be the judge of that. scroll to the bottom of Bent EZ-V thread. they are just mad because i went public with pics.
    i will definately be postin new info as it comes.

4. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

Man i'm glad that you posted all this info. I am going to buy another plow this summer and was thinking of a new fisher extreme v but oh well guess i'll buy another hiniker. let me know how things turn out, it will make my decision a lot easier. Good luck

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I had issues with my Extreme V after 6 hrs of plowing, I think I talked to the same guy. I got the feeling I was being backed into a corner by him and basically my feeling was that if I didnt make a "big deal" about my problem they were going to blow it off. I am seriously concidering trading this plow for my original thoughts of buying a Boss V blade or a Blizzard 810. I havent had any problems with the plow since but there again I havent checked for any cracked welds. Looks like thats what I'll be doing this weekend. My dealer replaced some wiring that they said might go bad so that hasn't been an issue for me, other than the cutting edge the plow has been great but all of these stories are making me very nervous for next year. I wonder what I could get for a SS V blade thats only a season old, lol. My dealer said that Fisher had years of "in the field testing" on these new plows but I find that hard to beleive, its not like they are making 10's of thousands of these plows every year. I think the quality control factor needs to be improved!

6. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

That is a pretty sad excuse for not covering a warranty. I have been a loyal Fisher owner of many Fisher plows over the past 25 years and currently own a XBlade which has been a good plow. Was considering trading it in for a Extreme V this year, glad I didn't. Fisher has always had a good reputation and it is to bad they will not stand behind this product. Who was your dealer?? How come they are not going to bat for you?

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

This is the third thread where you have posted about the damage. I have been running Fishers for years including MCs and the damage to the frame components you are showing is not possible without the plow hitting something major. What haven't you told us? What hasn't your driver told you?

I can understand you being upset about the warranty but at some point you have to take responsibility. If you buy a new car and smash it into your garage when you bring it home does the dealer have to warranty it?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  8. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

Bravo! FLIPPER. That about sums it up in a nut shell
    When a man does not take responibility for what he has done, he is not a real MAN.

9. Al DeMaio

Al DeMaio Junior Member

The truth will come out

The problem with pictures are you can hide areas that show damage and only show what is to your advantage. I like the way snow is piled up on the front of the wing that is still attached. Tell your driver BE A MAN and tell what really happened or just plain buy a snow shovel because that's all your driver is qualified to use. Whatever your driver hit or most likely got caught on would have busted every plow out there, the amount of force it takes to break what he broke is incredible. Laying a lot of bull and blowing smoke in the backsides of people that are not familiar with these plows and Fisher's Warranty Dept is a lame attempt to force Fisher to pay for your stupidity. The warranty was most likely denied because all the photos obviously show what we all know, your driver damaged the thing and won't admit it. Do us a favor buy another plow from someone else and let him destroy that one too, then you'll talk bad about them too

10. premier homes

premier homes Member

My dealer has been great through this, but fisher is tying there hands. fisher wont give them authorization to repair. I wish my dealer sold another brand at this location, because i would definately deal with them on something else.

11. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

For that damage I have to agree, with the couple post above, You need alot of force for that kind of damage, 2 inches of snow or not, you need to hit something hard to do even close to that damage. I'm not saying that in the 30 years we have been plowing, meyers and fishers, that you don't get the odd weld broken over a couple storms. Sure you do, but some times that from hitting a pile to hard, a sewer, that pothole you can just never avoid. It's not from just pushing snow. I don't know your driver, nor would I want to say he's not telling you the whole story, but it does seem to be a lot of impossible damage for just pushing snow.

Isn't the Extreme - V center pin thicker then the EZ-V? To me that doesn't mean they cut corners, they could have used the same size pin. no they made it stronger.

12. Flipper

from CT

Yes the pin is thicker. The whole setup is built much stronger.

As for the dealer not going to bat for him. The dealer probably is thinking the same thing much of us are, that the damage is questionable. Why would he want to piss off Fisher? This is not the only plow he has sold, he wants to make sure he can do the right thing for all his customers.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Don't know guys, my experience is somewhat limited with Fishers, but a lot of those cracks don't look to me like happening after hitting something. Most of them are stress cracks, the one on the lift arm has nothing to do with hitting something.

Not saying there wasn't abuse, and maybe he got a lemon which is another possibility, but from what I see, I wouldn't say it was abuse.

14. premier homes

premier homes Member

Im sorry would you like more photos or would you like to come to my shop and inspect it for yourself. there is NO damage or impact marks or even scratches for that matter. this plow hasnt hit anything except the snow. put another plow side by side with an extreme v and you will see the difference in the way they are built. besides this plow still looks like new with the exception that all the decals blew off the first time plowing

15. premier homes

premier homes Member

THANK YOU!
    if it is abuse, WHY ISNT THERE ANY BENT METAL. you cant tell me that tin doesnt bend.

16. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

i dont believe he had to hit something to cause a lot of that damage. maybe the center pin because its sheared off. but all of those stress cracks on welds don't show he hit anything. i mean how in hell can you crack welds on your lift arm by hitting something?????

i'm not arguing i'm just thowing out another points about the other cracked welds.

i'd have to say, for a $5000 plow, it should take some serious abuse. especially because thats what its made for. its suppose to be a exreme duty plow. unless he plowed into a telephone pole or ran into a concrete wall (which could be the case!) i don't think it should have stress cracks on most of the welds.

17. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

i actually just went and looked at my 8.5 EZ-V, its not new and i bought it used. but Its got a lot of cracks on welds too for some reason. This doesn't really matter that much because i have no idea how bad it was beaten on before i got it. but i figured i'd check after reading the post.

18. premier homes

premier homes Member

The problem i see is the way they hinged the two wings togather. the left wing only comes into contact with the centerpin in two spots that are about 1/2 inch of coverage area each.
    So that wing gets all of its support from 1inch of the centerpin. that creates a definate shear point. and this plow has plowed more than 2 inches of snow ... it broke in a 2 inch snow storm. we have almost reached 130 inches for the season

19. premier homes

premier homes Member

the extreme v setup doesnt even come close to the strangth of the EZ-V (STORM). I own both and see them side by side. I would purchase another storm but not the extreme v.
    besides if you think they are stronger, you should get one and see what im going through.

20. Flipper

from CT

If the plow was raised or raising and you hit something with the chain tight that force would be transfered through the lift arm. Say if you were banging into piles and hit something hard in the pile. This could also cause the damage without scratching the plow as the snow would act as a buffer.

A stress crack might be explainable but not all those cracks. I think they were caused when the driver continued to try to plow after an initial failure. Say the centerpin did break, you then put different stresses on all the components as they try to make up for it.

I have both and have had little problems with the older EZ-V but never any major things. The Extreme has worked pretty hard for a light winter with no issues. I just went out and looked at all the places you show in pictures. My welds are good and everything else looks true and square.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.