1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cj2002b, Feb 18, 2003.

1. cj2002b

cj2002b Junior Member

I live on a mountain with a 3/4 mile long driveway that climbs 500' up (19% grade in some areas). 12-30" snow is common. I used to plow commercially, but now have my hands full with my own property. I'm looking for recommendations on plowing vehicles, etc. I've gone through a K3500 and F350. Currently I'm using a Mitsubishi FG (4x4) with a 9' Fisher, chains on all 6 tires, and full load of sand in the back. Anyone have any idea's or suggestions. I'm thinking about switching to a 10' blade (lots of curves on the mountain). And no, the Unimog isn't in the budget this year. Thanks!

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Best bet may be a tractor with a hefty snowblower, especially if the driveway/road is narrow and there is limited ability to push the snow around.

3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

What it your budget? Rent or buy? Where are you exactly? How long is your season

My vote for renting is cat 906 with a blower. New 60k

My vote to buy is a used sno-cat.... 40% grades no problem. 12' 6 way blade, deisel auto cat can be had for 25k.

19% grade for how long? 19% grade plowing is TOUGH!

Howard