1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme Conditions (Blizzard)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JPMAKO, Jan 24, 2005.

1. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Here is what I had for "Blizzard Clause"

*In the event that it becomes necessary to move or remove piles of snow, there will be a charge of $150.00 per hour for loader services.
    There will be a minimum charge of one hour allowed for equipment loading, destination charges and equipment unloading.

After careful thought I don't think this is too good as it limits me to moving piles.

Here is what I came up with to replace it.

In the event of extreme conditions (excessive snowfall totals) or it becomes necessary to move or remove piles of snow, there will be a charge of $150.00 per hour for heavy equipment services. There will be a minimum charge of one hour allowed for equipment loading, destination charges and equipment unloading. This applies to both Seasonal and Per Visit Agreements. These services will be rendered at the discretion of the contractor.

Feedback wanted.
    What do you guys think?

Jason

2. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

I guess nobody likes me!
    Could I see someone elses Blizzard Clause?

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have a guy that will be happy with less than $150/hr for a backhoe?

As you will need to mark it up from what the backhoe guy charges you.

During/after a Blizzard, if I had a backhoe, I'd surely be getting double that figure if it were me.

4. fordsrule

fordsrule Member

Your new blizzard clause sounds like it is more descriptive than the other one.
    Take my advise for what its worth i dont run my own business or plow yet.

5. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

I changed it to $200.00/hr.
    Yes I have my own Loader/Backhoe. It is a small one but it gets the job done.
    The problem is that most guys that have a compact utility tractor around this area are satisfied making $75.00 - $100.00 per/hr. Just like I am charging $40.00 for driveways that some guys would do for $20.00 Being that I would have someone else operating the machine for $13.00 per/hr I am making pretty good money.

Thanks,
    Jason

6. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Thanks,
    All advice is welcome and appreciated.

Jason

I am also working on a service guide for new customers that explains the way my companies snow plowing operations work. This should cut down on the stupid calls that I get every now and then (Where are you, I can't find my newspaper...) Stuff like that.
    I will post it when I am done.

7. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

If you have the machine and operator lined up under contract, that may be fine. If you will need to procure the loader, you will end up paying going rates at that time. If it is getting to the point of moving snow loads, you may have to truck elsewhere too. If you feel this is going to be a regular thing to have blizzards and you have big contracts, a snow melter rental may be more cost efficent than trucking.

8. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Ahhhhh ... boy do I know how that goes, way back in 85 I was new in this business and man did Buffalo have snow that winter. I remember loader guys getting $175.00 an hour back then. It was the old supply and demand thing hard at work. This is what my contract states for loader work.
    "In the event that it becomes necessary to move or remove piles of snow and loader or trucking services are required, the customer will be quoted a price and charged accordingly for this service. Loader service is NOT included as a part of this agreement. Due to market fluctuations a price quote for this service is not available in advance"
    I really dont like having to be vague, but during a storm the loader prices do go up.
    BTW JPMAKO, you posted a snow removal contract not to long ago, thank you, it far surpassed in both verbiage(sp?) and format of the rag of a contract I was using, which I paid an attorney to write for me. :eek:
    Ken

9. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Ken,
    Thanks for your input. I do know that loader prices fluctuate, Being that I have owned mine for several years it is a lot easier to price "MY MACHINE" as opposed to one that I rent. Or for that matter a sub because as you stated it's supply and demand. At $200.00/hr I am making money. Like I have stated it is a smaller machine and one of my guys will be operating it for $13.00 an hour. We normally don't need it but I can remember a few storms that we did.
    Anyway thank you.
    BTW your welcome for the contract. Many Many long nights spent behind the computer and I think that I finally came up with a pretty good one.

Jason