1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme cold, what do you do....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by White Gardens, Jan 3, 2014.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Alaska guys probably would laugh, but I'd thought I would ask.

So, this weekend we are probably going to see some records for low temps (-20*F) Sunday night after our 3"-8" storm passes through with 25-35mph wind gusts.

One-

I'm nervous as to how well the equipment will hold up with the extreme temps. My central hydraulics acts up a 10* and lower.

And, I'm thinking about telling my customers that no sidewalks will be shoveled until the temps reach an acceptable level.

What I'm getting at, is this weekend is going to be dangerous. Has anyone dealt with this type of extreme conditions and what did you do?

Please discuss.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I will probably just take it slow and easy. My first year with a tractor/blower, I am not sure what to expect. Might even run the tractor to the shop where it's 65, and let it sleep there for the weekend. The F350 stays in the shop for my partner. -6 and the Boss V-XT starts to get sloooow. The Ebling has never seen temps that low. I will still shovel the condo units that need it.

3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Im glad it didn't get too cold while there was still snow to be moved here. I would just take it easy and I would not be getting out of the truck to shovel at -20*F, ill let everyone know I will do them once it warms up to about 0 atleast if not more

4. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

-6 here tonight should i let the truck idle for a few hours during the cold?

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Take it easy and equipment warm up, you'll be fine.

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Has not been over 0 degrees out in 2 weeks here, just let everything warm up good.

7. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

Hey guys not to jack the tread. But at what point do you need to leave your diesel truck running over night? I am worried that with these temperatures that i will not be able to start my truck. I have been running attitive so i am not worried about jelling. But any advice would be helpful.

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

About the same here, it warmed up to 18 today, high of -16 and a low of -25 on Monday.

9. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Like everyone else said, take it easy, try not to slam everything around, don't be afraid to let equipment run to warm up, or even just to keep it warm/running, dress appropriately, and bring multiples of easy layer.

10. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

There talking 50 to 60 below by me Sunday afternoon thru Monday. No snow for me but in our cold storage area should I plug skids in or just leave them sit. I think it will be office work for me....not taking diesel out of garage at those temps. That's just brutal. We're in wind chill warning starting tomorrow through Tuesday night.

11. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

With the wind last night it was a balmy -29f. Did a quick scrape of the slushy crap and a re salt that the traffic and sun light cleared up everything during the day today.

12. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Well I have a cover on the front of my 7.3 but I have started it being -27 plugged in no problem.

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just plug it in. It ain't gunna be that bad this weekend

14. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I just had a nice 2 week cold snap(now it's barely freezing) it was around -35c, we just bundle up & stay moving, equipment, just let it warm up, & don't go extra hard with it, it will be fine, you & shovelers though, keep your hats & gloves on & the truck running with the heat on :)

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If you can plug it in you should be ok.

What truck/motor as well? If it's a newer Common Rail style diesel motor it would probably start on it's own but plugging it in won't hurt anything.

I'll probably run a little more fuel additive then I normally do, maybe grab a bottle or two of 911 treatment in case something does gel up. I also keep fuel filters in my cab in the event something gels up I have warm fuel filters to put on it. Also my pickup will stay running the whole time unless it's at home in the heated shop. I'm not afraid to shut it off for an hour or two when it's that cold, it's just that when the truck shuts off so does my heater :eek:

16. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

Any equipment with block heaters get plugged in. No need to leave diesels running provided there is a block heater. Gas engines are fine, we have 6 gas trucks and 4 diesels they all started yesterday morning at 0 degrees.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's your reason/justification for not shoveling the walks?

18. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Who needs to be outside when its -20 or more? Not to mention its just flat out dangerous for both your workers and clients

19. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Just a thought-if its in your service agreement that you do walks, I would certainly do them. Just think, you decide its too cold to get out and do walks, customer falls and hits their head, dies of cold. But judge, it was too cold for me to shovel!

20. jbsplow

jbsplow Senior Member
    from -

Lol if u cant handle -20 degree weather maybe you shouldnt be in snow removal. All part of the process... I wouldnt tell anyone i couldnt remove snow for them cause its to cold. Theyll find some one else