1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme cold impact on hydraulics

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by OhioJeepMan, Jan 7, 2014.

1. OhioJeepMan

OhioJeepMan Junior Member
    from Ohio

Own a 2005 Jeep wrangler with an old beat up 6' Western on it. Drove fine yesterday, but when I went to start it this morning...nothing.

Granted it's dang cold out there (-20 to -50 overnight), but the dash lights came on, and the hydraulic power light for the plow also lit up. Got kind of a nasty rattle that did not sound like the alternator though.

Wondering if the cold had an impact on the hydraulics, but even so, why would that impact the ability of the vehicle to start? Garage won't accommodate a 3rd vehicle so this had to sit outside overnight...

Would jump starting it work? I thought about taking a hair dryer outside and heating some key spots, but am not even sure where to be honest...

Suggestions?

2. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Get some heat on that engine. Those negative temps will keep it from starting.

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

What kind of oil are you running in the jeep?

4. OhioJeepMan

from Ohio

I wanna say Synthetic 5W30, but would have to check - also have been wondering if an engine block heater would do the trick? Those are only like $40-$50 to install, but it'd be tough to get done right now because the plow is down and I have no way to raise it without starting the jeep in the first place! LOL

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Cold impacting hydros and batteries and now a truck won't start. Never heard of this before sounds odd

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes. This is common, common sense!

7. OhioJeepMan

from Ohio

Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic. I know it's the cold, just more a question of what is impacted and how to fix it. if it's the battery, a simple jump start should suffice, correct?

How would I alleviate the problem if it's the hydraulics that are frozen though? (Sorry if this sounds rookie, but I am not a serious plow business, just my own driveway and a few neighbors and never dealt with this kinda cold before...)

8. dieselss

It's in the negative temps and your asking what is effected and how to fix? Really. C'mon man. Batts don't like cold. Hydros don't like cold.

9. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Put in a block heater

10. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Even put a 100 watt light bulb under the hood in the right spot and it will make a difference.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You might be able to place a heating pad under the oil pan and used bailing wiring to hold it place to get you going. I'd also suggest you through a moving blanket or tarp over the top engine to hold the heat in.
    Also get a KATS inline block heater, they're easy to install and relatively cheap, I've used both styles shown below and they both work very well.
    http://fivestarmanufacturing.com/Kat_s

block heater.jpg

12. OhioJeepMan

from Ohio

I understand that cold affects everything (even my arthritis is reacting to it! LOL). However, I am not a mechanic and thus was asking if anyone could get me started in what the best course of action would be to try and get it running again.

Thanks for your "help" though...

13. OhioJeepMan

from Ohio

Excellent suggestions everyone, thank you! :drinkup:

14. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

Get some heat on the engine. It will start eventually

15. dieselss

That is the best advice and I thought THAT was common sense. Heat.

16. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Heat the engine and after a while I would try it. If does not start then try putting a battery charger on it and see if that helps.

17. GONZO911

GONZO911 Member

You could also take battery out and put in house until warm. Then after installing back in truck it should have lots more power to crank.