1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extra work=Extra Pay

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DAZ982500, Oct 3, 2005.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I have 11 Rental properties I service for two separate people.The first, will call him Jim works off a budget for his 6 properties the second Jack does not.Last year I gave them prices, low in my opinion.I only charged for the driveway,this year I feel that if I get out of the truck and say use a snowblower and salt I should be compensated.The question is about how much 10, 15.I know there are occassions I drive down 10 miles to service just the walkways with broadcast spreader other times it is included in the plowing.So for example, lets say I charge 20 for the driveway should i say an extra 10 or 15 for these additions.I raise this question because in the past I have had problems with J im and his budget but I do all his lawns and plowing so he is a good source of income but on his terms.He is an engineer can be reasoned with.Some these driveways are only 1 car long others are 3 cars so I charge between 20-30 without salting.I will buy a pallet of salt, give me an idea about fees here.No truck spreader used here.Just walk behind spreader.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have a contract with Jim? If not maybe you should. If Salting is not specified than it would be an add on service and you should charge more. Now if you feel your going to lose this account and you don't want too, well you'll have to make a choice.

As far as how much to charge for salting is up to you. A pallet of salt will cost you around $200, provide enough salt to do approx. 400 Driveways, at roughly 5 min per drive = 33 hours give or take of salting time x $125 p/hr = $4125 + $200 / 400 drives = $11 --your bare minimum that you should charge to cover the cost of salting. :dizzy:

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Those kinda rates, I'd stay home & sleep! You have to get enough to cover everything involved, travel time to & from, vehicle expenses, insurance(which you probably don't have & will wish you did when tennant X falls & gets hurt and good ol Jim gives his insurance Co. your name and you get sued)and oh yeah, profit, the whole underlying reason for doing it in the first place.

4. Grn Mtn

Big Dog, whats wrong with $125 per/hour? He'll be using 1/2 bag of salt (maybe) and be at driveway 5 extra minutes. Remember, he is already getting $25 for plowing and around here that is good.

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I wasn't and still am not not clear on what he is doing. He is talking aboult salting, if he has to use a snowblower etc. He also does not mention(but you assumed) the size of the driveways etc.

When I first read it (quick) I thought that he was talking about charging 10-15 to shovel walkways at two seperate apartment complexs. Thats where I was/am comming from.

I figure between 100-125 an hour for truck and operator per hour depending upon what type of job it is high v.s. low risk.

So 125 is good in my book payup , but in this case it is based on all of your assumptions, thats all.

6. Grn Mtn

Assumption based on the above quoted info and that my driveway is 1 car wide, 3 long. I do admit that I too am confused of the actual question, kind of seems like there are 2-3. Salting the drives and what or if to charge Jim the engineer.

Anyways, DAZ98, hopefully you will be able to take the example and apply it to what really may be the situation, and get contracts and insurance if your going to be salting the rental properties for sure.

7. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

The question was misconstrued I guess that was my fault.Anyway to clarify, wrong I do carry insurance and in this area to perform plowing for 5 minutes your not going to get 50 bucks its not going to happen.I simply wanted to know how much extra to you usually get for salting a sidewalk on top of the plowing.Second, what do you charge for ,lets go back to my example just salting of sidewalk not plowing.I don't know what other markets are like but this is what the approx. rate is here 20-40 per driveway this is 2-3 car lengths.