1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extra wires?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by terrapro, Jan 24, 2011.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Finishing up the wiring on a Boss 13pin harness and I have a red with fuse and brown wire left in a loom that is not on my diagram. Anyone know where they go?

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The red goes to the battery for the dual headlight burn, and the brown goes to the battery for a ground for the dual burn kit.

3. terrapro

from MI

Thanks, I was able to pull up a different diagram that showed that.

Do you have to trim the first adapter plug in the line for the head light adapters? That one is not making contact with the pins at all.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

When I did my last install with dual burn kit I did not have to trim anything at all. It may just take a little extra empf to push the connector together.

5. terrapro

from MI

Actually I didn't realize but it was actually both sides. There was no pushing harder it was bottomed out completely trimmed off 1/4" and it worked.

Now my high beams do not work at all?

Finally finished putting the undercarriage on and hooked the plow up but no power at all. Just the running lights on the plow work?! No headlights, no power to the controller, not even the click of a solenoid. WTF?

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Okay so first thing I would check is to make sure your head light adapters are all on the same side and the appropriate side for your truck. Do you have a key hot hooked up? If not you will not get any clicking from the solenoid. Just double check the fuses on the plow harness.

7. terrapro

from MI

That is the funny thing. When we were messing with the headlights with only the drivers side plugged in only the passenger side worked. Following the diagram there should only be a pink wire for turn with the passenger light wiring and a violet for the left turn and yellow for park for the drivers side so we assumed that is were they went.

Have a fused igintion hooked up under the dash on the bottom right terminal which we asumed was ign hot.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

When you hook up the harness there will be a long black harness that goes from the drives side of the truck to the passenger side. That will have a black plug on it and a blue plug on it also there is a pink wire coming out of the end of the loom aswell. That whole side of the harness gets hooked to the headlights and blinker for the passenger side of the truck. The same thing with the drivers side. Each side gets its own connectors for the headlights. The 2 red wires for that get hooked to the battery should have little stickers on it go to the battery. also the 2 brown ones. One of the red ones should have a sticker on it showing certain years only go to the positive side of the battery and only some go to the negative side of the battery. Make sure your year truck is hooked to the right side. It wont be a bad idea to check the fuses just for grins. The key hot should go to the fuse boxs in the cab. If you have a 03 + dodge you need to hook it to the cig plug. Otherwise it would be on all the time. A good fuse to hook to would be the radio or fan. Also just double check the grounds for the plow harness just for grins too. Also what kind of truck is this going on?

9. terrapro

from MI

95' chevy 3500. I have a distribution box for my wiring setup under hood for trailering and plowing we just hooked up there for blinkers and running lights. Everything appears to be hooked up correctly.

I will have to check into the brown and red wires, we have one fused red and one brown. No stickers.

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Okay, so is this harness a 13 pin or 11? I should of asked earlier but I didn't think about it. A easy way to tell is if you have relays or not. If you have relays how many? 4 or 6? I know with the 13 pins hook to both head lights on each side of the truck. The 11 pins hook to 1 side and you just tuck and hide the one side of the trucks headlight wiring. i wish I was closer to livinston county so I could see hands on what you have going on cause I know I could get it going for you. Its always easier to do something hands on than like this.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If there's extra wires then you're not finished with the install. No wonder it doesn't work. :D

Wasn't this a used install Cole?

12. terrapro

from MI

Yes it is used. Everything is hooked up now, everything looks perfect. Just replaced the relay for the controller/cab light switch, added another ground to the solenoid, and all new fuses and still nothing.

4 relays on a 13 pin harness. You said there should be 2 brown with two red but there is only 1 brown and two red.

Brand new solenoid also. It doesn't matter where you put the wires on the solenoid right? Just as long as there is red in and red out for the big posts then ground/brown on one of the little posts and the switch wire brown/white to the other correct?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  13. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

If there was 2 littler red wires and you had 6 relays you'd have the built in dual burn kit. But being you have 4 relays you don't have that.

Just to clarify everything work right?

14. terrapro

from MI

No still doesn't work.

Everything looks perfect. I would run my tester through everything but it has been acting goofy lately and I don't trust it at all.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Go buy a $3 test light. Far better for this than a meter. I'm going to say you don't have any power on your red keyed ignition wire if everything is attached correctly.

16. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Thats gotta be what it is.

17. terrapro

from MI

I don't even want to admit it but I missed a fuse. My fused ignition wire has two 10amps side by side (which is new to me) and it only had one in it. Popped a new 10amp in and the controller lite right up.

Why would you need two 10 amp fuses? If one blows it is done anyway :confused:

18. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

Have a fused igintion hooked up under the dash on the bottom right terminal which we asumed was ign hot.[/QUOTE]

you assumed but IS this an ignition feed? verify that first.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There should only be one fuse holder in the black/red keyed ignition wire. if there's two someone added it. Remove it.

20. terrapro

from MI

Still no high beams on the truck though? The high beams for the plow work great.