1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

extra power

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Farmer_01, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Farmer_01

Farmer_01 Member

Has anybody ever installed a power inverter in their truck? I am looking into buying a power inverter and installing in my truck. I am looking at possibly a 1800 watt size inverter to power a 1/2hp sump and a few lights.

I was wondering if anybody has had either good or bad experiences with them. This last Ice storm my generator quit right before the power came back on and I really don't want to end up using a bucket to empty the sump unless I have to. yes I survived, but I would rather work smarter than harder.

2. Farmer_01

Farmer_01 Member

Anybody???:help: I am wondering if it is worth my time and effort.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

hi
    1800 watts is 15 Amps at 120v

Assuming that the inverter runs at 100% efficiency you will be drawing 150 Amps from your 12 volt battery, wont last long.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

you will be better off with a generator. A very small one would run what you want to do, and those are cheap. Personally I would go for the biggest generator you can get/afford.