1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extra power for 2 plug system

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jsc824, Dec 9, 2010.

1. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

I just finished installing a 2 plug plow on my truck. When I hooked the plow up to test jt, I noticed a significant power drop when operating the plow. I noticed it the most, when I had the heat on high. I watched the battery gauge go just about into the red, and almost lost all power.

My question is what is the best solution to this? It didn't seem that bad when I turned the heat down so the fan was nt drawing a lot of power.

2 batteries, or heavy duty altenator, or other options?

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

both would help. i would check power and ground connections first. they should be tight and clean.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I use a 200amp alt with an inline fuse, two batteries, top and side post, Added extra grounds, especially to the truck frame. And most of all, a brand new alt belt..Use the second battery for the plow only (charging off the first battery. that is what the top post are for. ), and plow accessories (beacon, small flood lights)

4. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

thanks guys. I will look into the 2nd battery install. My truck already has the tray installed. I am going to see how the truck does when we get some snow and make the decision from there.

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

good luck. Just in case, have the charging system out and do a load test...