1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

extra lighting

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jguck25, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I'm not sure if I should put this in the strobe lighting forum or not.. but here goes.

I have a new to me truck with up fitter switches that I want to hook lights up to. I want to put in two lights on the back that come on whenever I put it into reverse so I can see (I have a sander in the back so any extra lights to use with the mirrors will help) but I also want those same two lights to be on one of my up fitter switches.. I am very very uninformed with electrical work so this may sound stupid to you guys. So basically what i want are two lights that come on with the reverse lights, i know tthat's easy, just tap into the reverse lights, but I also want to be able to turn those on when I am not in reverse with the switch.. how
    would I go about doing this?

Thanks for the help in advance!
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

hmmmm what kind & year of truck? are these factory installer upfitter switches?
  3. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

Get two LED lights, they last longer and are usually brighter.

You can wire the upfitter switch in with a diode to prevent back flow of power back into the reverse lights so only those 2 lights come on when you turn the switch on and the reverse lights don't. Ask a rep at Radio Shack for help in selecting the correct diode.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd just do how my GMC is wired. I have 2 4'' round work lights on the rack, wired into the bed light switch. I get to an account, turn them on and shut them off when I leave.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If you wire into your reverse wire, depending upon which lights your using you should relay them. If on the switch, make sure it has enough amps. If your using LEDs, then you shouldn't have any problems
  6. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

thanks a lot guys. It is a 2005 f350 diesel. No they are not factory installed, the guy before me put them on. I do plan on using led lights. which led lights do you guys think are the best?
  7. treefarm

treefarm Member

Why not just wire two Hid lights to your auxiliary switches that most ford trucks have or can be installed as I did my self. On Ebay I found a set for less than $75.00 the similar brand sold on summit racing for $260 35 watts 5000 K white as white and using them for two years about a 4 inch light my brother laughs at them, but to me they still seem smaller than what most people are driving around with and when I turn them on the amount of flood they give assures me I will never back into something. I've tried many leds unless you're planning to spend upwards of $800 you're not going to get the luminous that you will require trust me I've wasted a lot of money on cheap and sometimes not so cheap leds go with HID you'll be much happier and have more money in your pockets take care

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  8. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I do not agree with that at all! Years ago, that may have been the case when LED technology was new and they were expensive to manufacture. Now-a-days the cost of LED's are down GREATLY. You just have to know where to look and know which companies are good and which ones to avoid. Another thing to consider in the price is the warranty. You can find cheap LED's with a 1 year warranty, or you can find expensive LED's with 5 year+ warranties.

Any of these lights are good choices:
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

guess what kind??

back up lights 063.jpg
  10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Oh oh oh. Harbor freight specials
  11. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

perfect, thank you. after some searching through the forums what i think im going to do is mount two 1000 lumen sound off round lights to my headache rack and then get one or two 500 sound off ones and mount them right to the back of my spreader and put it into the 7 pin trailer connector to come on with my reverse lights.

on that page there is more than one option for each light that is a specific lumens, which one do i want?
  12. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Could you specify further?
  13. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

sorry, i was multitasking when i typed that earlier, i should have been more specific. But, on that link you provided there are three different sound off lights, for different prices. some say par 36 and some dont, and then some say 12vdc or 10-50 vdc.. just wondering which is the one i want to order
  14. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

Par 36 and Par 46 refer to the standard industry size of the round lights. Most factory fog lights on cars are Par 36, so if you want round lights, get the Par 36's. You want the 12 V. 10-50V are for things like fork lifts.
  15. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Slick setup both lights and transfer tank, I like the elbow near the nozzle and you painted the tubing to the fuel filter, you never see that
  16. treefarm

treefarm Member

thanks for the compliment just trying to save the poster a wast of time with LED's , I have been trying for 15 years to find the right size to light output with out looking ridiculous. LED's where bright but did not light that much distance behind without spending upwards of $600 and then one died 2 years later ouch. location makes a big difference when you have to plow large parking lots that have no lights on in a winter storm in white out conditions . The higher you mount the light the better coverage you get , and you don't get that glare as bad off the snow as with bumper mount lights . I will try to post a picture at night by the way my brother stop busting my chops after the first time he turn them on imagine what he has on his truck now lol ;-)
  17. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

If you want lights on the back of a spreader that only come on when you are in reverse - make a harness from the lights to a trailer plug and plug it in where you plug your trailer in. There already is an auxilary hot lead at the plug, the center pin that I coulda swore was hot only in reverse.

To use the upfitters, here's a link to a volume of usefull info direct from Ford, look thru it for your year and it will give wire colors and amps for each auxillary switch - it seems they change colors every year.

18. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

What is... Rigid =P
  19. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Cant beat those. They are expensive but they are worth it.
  20. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

I would rather go with Bull Dog lighting. They have been proven to be better than the rigid and cheaper. Ive got a buddy at a diesel shop that swears by them. You should check them out. I'll be putting a ten or twenty inch between my plow lights this year.