1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

extra charges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dodgegmc1213, Aug 11, 2015.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

this question I guess can be for per push guys as well as seasonal guys. say the storm is over and all the clean up is done that day or the day after but some cars didn't move but they decided to move 2 or 3 days later. management calls you to clean those spots up. what do some of you guys do when it comes to charging extra? a set price per spot? an hour price with a minimum of x hours? what do you charge? same with shoveling, some snow falls off the roof and onto the sidewalk or something. im gonna assume it will be an hour price for that but how much and minimum of how many hours? Even tho its a seasonal contract I would think you should charge them to do this when its been a few days after the storm and you did your job.

im just trying to get an idea on how to price things for the 2016/2017 season. im starting my own business in the spring of next year and hoping to get my own snow work come winter.

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

When I am called to go by the PM, I will charge a small fee. But most times, as a way to keep them satisfied and happy with my services, I go look and dress the lots up on my own. It is a very cheap and easy way to retain customers.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

When I had my seasonal contracts it was all inclusive, even the small extra stuff like you listed, it just one of those things. You can charge for those extra things but I guarantee you someone out there wont.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

that's an excellent point
  5. dodgegmc1213

Good point thanks buswell
  6. dodgegmc1213

I guess it will depend on how many spots you need to push or walks to reshovel

FISHERBOY Senior Member

just like when doing seal coating, its those little things people love
  8. dodgegmc1213

speaking my language lol

FISHERBOY Senior Member

hopefully you rested over the weekend, and enjoyed your bbq
  10. dodgegmc1213

Bbq was great, ended up resting yesterday and today also..well besides measuring a site for snow yesterday
  11. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

I do clean up runs all the time and unless it is really bad I do not charge. Customers are very thankful for your service and customer retention is important. I am 70% seasonal, 30% per push.
  12. dodgegmc1213

Thanks for the help guys. I'll just take it as I go, if it ends up to be alot then I'll charge a small fee, but just a few areas I'll take care of it
  13. fireside

fireside Senior Member

All my contracts have a $50 trip fee clause. That is a seasonal or per push. I have only charged it once to a pita account. You need to have something built into to the contract to cover you if you get that account that calls for every little thing. I handle no different than plowing during the day and going back to cleanup the parking areas. If you have a account were that may become a problem give them a time frame to move all the cars than you will return only once to cleanup, but clearly have the terms in the contract! Long and short the little things go along way and are remembered.
  14. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

I agree with everyone here...Its a judgment call really, I mean you dont work for free but you also dont want to be THAT guy...Clients dont like THAT guy, you hear about it when you are signing them up as new clients ;)
  15. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Our contracts have a call out fee that we can charge for call outs. Never done it though. Normally if there's still enough snow on a lot to justify a call for cleanup, even from vehicles moving, we're spot salting anyway.

All seasonal accounts.
  16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe if you had to remount plow and waste a couple of hours(traffic)for a 10 min job....maybe
  17. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I don't charge to go back to commercials... if it's a quick swipe.

If I'm there for 1/2 hour or more, then they get charged.

On occasion, the resi's get it, but it's rare. There has to be a legitimate reason for it, and even if there was, depending on the customer's natural attitude (nice or not), I go back and clean up included.

Gets people to call me back each year.. at least the one's I want to go back to.
  18. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

You guys are crazy
    My contracts have it spelled out next day we come back at 9am and will do spits that are two wide no singel car spots they people are required to move they get x time max 1 hour or 2 depends how big site is
    After that we are not responsible for ice near cars and if mgmt co calls me back after we leave it is on a hourly rate min 1 hour charge
    Nothing is free and unless you are lucky and have a highly profitable contract which is rare then they have to pay
    Espically when it's not you going you have to pay your guys
    Commerucal contrcats need to spell out everything
  19. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Ponyboy, if I had as many accounts as you do, I would do as you describe. You can't run back and dust off 200 accounts for nothing....but my with small potatoes stuff I can manage it without costing myself enough to worry about.
  20. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I don't have A lot still small 10 trucks and 4 machines
    I understand wanting to please them maybe in some locations they appreciate that here is #s and keeping to letter of contract
    So yes if it was just me I might just say $50 per lot and make a few hundred but when guys make $35 an hour to drive I can't afford to send guys out for free