1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extra Chain - cut it ???

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Shortstuff, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

Just installed my new 8'HD and there's a good foot and a half of extra lift chain. What is normally done with the extra chain? Do you cut off all the extra, leave a few links, or just tie up all the extra?

This is my first plow so I don't know if I may need a few extra links left on for future adjustments or whatever.

Steve

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's your safety chain.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

They don't do travel/safety chains any more. At least my XV doesn't have one. I would leave it on for now, just to be sure you have enough slack for adequate down travel in a dip or when cresting a knoll in a steep driveway. I had to add a couple links to mine after using it a bit.

4. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

On a Fisher MM2, you don't need the extra length of chain like the older ones. (There's no link-holder position to hang it on either). If the chain breaks, or the hydraulics fail, it is short-chained to the lift triangle itself. It has the chain "keyway", unlike the older ones with just a loop that the chain went through.

I have a couple links extra on both sides, just incase adjustment is necessary. Make sure it is long enough to let the plow hang low for when cresting over a slight hill(so the plow can travel down further than it would on level ground).

As far as I'm concerned, make sure you have what you need, and ditch the extra.

5. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I'm a slow typer. LOL

2COR517 beat me to it. But, yeah, that's the jist of it.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I like the safety chain. I try to always use it.

7. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Its a new plow right.... Ill take the extra foot of chain since its a new chain :) Hahah

8. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Safety chain does not exist in new fisher plows... they are design to be against the stops in travel. hope this helps!!

9. fisherthebest

fisherthebest Junior Member

did myou leave extra chain when the top lift is all the way down

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

ya, you shouln't cut it off IMO.

11. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

i cut about 10" off my chain. It made me nervous hanging down by the rams...