1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extra Boss plow oil

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mnguy, Dec 31, 2014.

1. mnguy

mnguy Member

Just wondering if you get an extra bottle of hydraulic oil with a new plow? I have 4 boss v plows and on my last plow they gave me a bottle and said that it comes with the purchase.

2. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Never got any?

3. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

Oil Doesn't come with them. I am building a new DXT from Crate. No oil included. Its ATF any how so that's easy to get and to keep extras.
    Thanks,
    Deo

4. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

My Dxt came with a gallon, but I think that's a dealer thing. They also threw in a set of formed cutting edges as we'll

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Really. Atf you say.....care to wager that assumption?

6. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

DieselSS is correct. Well ATF is what I was told to use in the from Dealer. The Manual says High Performance Hydraulic Fluid. I just searched on the forum and found Boss recommends Mil- spec 5606a fluid and says the boss fluid meets it. From the discussion on this site, it seems as the Aircraft hydraulic fluid stays thinner at colder temps and removes water from the system better then the boss fluid. The boss recommended Mil Spec 5606a is now obsolete, and Mill spec 5606H replaces it and is generally found as aircraft hydraulic fluid. the common, easy to find fluid is Aeroshell Fluid 41. Supposedly Aeroshell Fluid 41 is cheaper then Boss Fluid.
    I haven't filled my plow yet as i am still waiting on a missing harness for the NGE system. I'm gonna see the price of the boss fluid at the dealer today, and the price of the Aeroshell Fluid 41 at the local airport.
    Thanks,
    Deo

7. dieselss

Glad your gunna change to the proper fluid

8. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Mobile Exxon UNIVIS J13 HVI oil meets the same spec. Most refiners produce this spec and bulk retailers can get the oil, so likely not a need to shop at your local airport.

9. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Why do you guys buy a$ 6k plow and try and cheap out on $25 fluid?

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

:laughing: That's what I was wondering as well.:dizzy:

11. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

The Aeroshell is better then boss fluid. Talked to my dealer and again he recommends ATF. The thought is guys are gonna be hesitant to change their fluid every year when its $14 a quart. He has had no problems with atf and warrantees it. I still think I will go with aeroshell and buy extra. My plow is empty still.
    Thanks,
    Deo

12. dieselss

I'm sure boss corporate will contact him about this soon after reading that statement. Still recommends atf......

13. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I know the Dealer is Wrong..............I bet BOSS would like to know that the dealer is tell people the wrong thing and creating problems for them.

I have contacted BOSS about this because I see it all the time. BOSS oil is 5606 use it. Give your dealer a copy of this and tell them to call BOSS. This is FROM BOSS no middle man ...................

Paul,

Thank you for contacting BOSS Snowplow. BOSS Fluid, milspec 5606 is a zinc free specially formulated fluid that is commonly used in aircrafts. It is not an ATF. In a pinch, ATF fluid can be used, however it is recommended to change it out as soon as possible. Extreme temperatures may cause ATF to thicken. If you do not have access to BOSS Hi-Performance fluid, there are generic snowplow fluids available. Your local NAPA store should have this. Be sure to get a fluid with a pour point of -50 degrees (blue).

If you have additional questions, BOSS Service can be reached at 800-286-4155 option #2.

Thank you.

Amy Mendini
    906-776-3765
    Amy.mendini@bossplow.com

14. dieselss

Thx max. That clears it up