1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extra Ballast for Crew Cab?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowman350, Dec 14, 2004.

1. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Okay guys, here's the question:

I have a 2003 F350 Crew Cab. The boss dealer told me that I probably wouldn't even need extra weight in the back because of the huge cab. Well, he's completely wrong. The Crew cab puts a lot of weight on the FRONT axle. I plowed this past weekend for the first time in this truck with 800 lbs of salt in the back... My back tires were just spinning while I drove, plow up or down. I ended up plowing all night in 4WD just to be safer. I'd like to go to 2WD to improve the turning on this thing.

Anybody else use a crew cab? How much weight are you putting in the back?

Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks. :drinkup:
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I run 1200-1500 lbs minumum usually when I start out and somtimes close to 3000 lbs when I have a lot of salt to spread. As you have discovered, that big heavy plow and engine is like a anchor in the snow at times without a lot of rear axle weight. I would at least double what you are running to try to get the results you desire. Take your truck to a scale and see first hand were the weight is at and give you a better idea what you need to do.
  3. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

will try

Thanks for the advice. Before this truck I didn't plow, but had a Dodge Ram 1500. Anthing more than 600lbs and it would sag, so i'm not used to using that much weight. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try.
  4. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I use only crew cabs to plow and have no problems. They acuatually work better then reg cabs because the longer wheel base has better traction in deep snow.

I put 3000lb on the rear of duallys, and min. 1000lbs on SRW crews.

On the SRW crew, just remember to put the 1000lbs behind the rear wheels.
    Good idea is to cut a 2x12 and put it in the bedliner load lock and then stack 20 bags of salt against the tailgate. Also a fully loaded tailgate spreader is good weight. It'll usually hold 500-600lbs full, and then just put extra bags in the back of the bed by the tailgate.

After you do this, you'll like the crew even better.
    It's got the atvantage that you can store your tools in the cab so their warm and safe if you need them on the job.
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Kinda defeats the purpose of the tail gate being opened for anything else for bed access if you do have a spreader and it is not on the truck. I basically center most of my load between wheel wells when possible and grow beyond that area as load increases.
  6. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

As far as ballast goes, crew cabs should be treated the same as any other pick-up truck... put around the same weight as the plow or more if you can behind the rear wheels and you shouldn't have too many problems. :waving:
  7. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I plow with an '01 Ford F-350 crew cab long bed. I carry around a great big tool box right at the tailgate for any repairs and it also helps with traction. It weighs right at 500 lbs. I think I will try more weight this year, especially after finding out how much everybody else is using (may jump up to 1000+lbs.)
  8. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

This site and its members are great! I appreciate all the help this season.

Thank you.

Let it snow!

JRKRACE Senior Member

I have a 2004 Crew Cab Short Bed with a 7.5 Fisher and I use the specified 300 lbs of ballast. I used to plow witout it and once I put it in, I would never plow without it