1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extra Backup Lights for Plowing!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by FisherVMan, Jan 23, 2011.

1. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I have not been satisfied with the two 130W Halogens; I have on my back rack. They are Flood types; but there is too much reflections off the body; and although they cover back behind the truck; They still leave a blind area; right behind the bumper, that I didnt like . So I rigged up a T-bar; off my Reeces hitch, with two 55W Halogens I had laying around, that are sorta yellowish tint,[fog style] in the reflector area . That has now filled in the blind spot; and the combo of the two, is very acceptable! Just thought some would be interested; if you do alot of nite stuff????Thumbs Up
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

Is it possible to flip the T bar upside down? Those look too vulnerable to me hanging down there. Plus after few miles on snowy/slushy roads they are going to be covered with snow and/or dirt to the point where the light output will be greatly reduced.

I used to have a spotter light mounted to the bottom of my rear bumper and I ended up killing that thing every couple of months.
  3. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

No can do................. they would fetch up on the bumper way before the inserted tube that goes into the hitch even started in ! And of course; if they would clear, they would then be the "first thing" that would hit if you backed into a snowbank and would soon be toast!! You probably cant see it in the picture; but they are actually back behind the T-Bar so the bank will hit the bar first You have a good point though! So I will see how they work out; and if they dont I will try something else. They certainly do fill in nicely and if I can keep them on the combination really illuminates things very nicely!
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Are you a fire fighter? If not why the red strobe? Nice lookin set up.
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think it's amber, probably just a cheaper one and those sometimes look red before you turn them on.

The light idea is neat, but I'd have them broke off within minutes backing over top of windrows.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Could be but look at the one on the other side of the back rack.
  7. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Mark is right; it is just the camera playing tricks with the light angle I guess???
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Looks great Fisher V Man. Do you have them on a toggle switch or do they come on when you are in reverser?
  9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

The Floods and the T bar lights as well as the two strobes are all on a 30 amp relay and they all come on at once as soon as you go into reverse and of course the "Beeper" comes on as well ! I have one drive I do that has a flock of little kids wandering around so I am super cautious and probably have more lights than I need but if just one made a difference its worth it to me.........................
  10. mercer_me

I would be a nervius wreck plowing with a bunch of little kids around. It would be awful to run over a kid.
  11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Looks geat. Let us know if they make it through the winter. I'm careful when I back up, but I think even I would find a way to rip those off.
  12. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I will keep you posted D Farmer................ they are actual much higher off the ground than that picture shows . The back end of the 150s are quite high and I am guessing they are around a foot off the ground. The are actually in just behind the bumper as the tabs I welded onto the Tbar are sticking in towards the rear diff about 4" so it keeps the lens back about an inch or so behind the bumper so to rip them off I will need to hit something around a foot tall and I am counting on them just flipping up hopefully????

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i would destroy those first storm.
  14. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Hey FisherVman who makes that backrack
  15. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

I have two back up lights mounted to the underside of my Reese hitch and they hang down quit a bit. I leave them loose enough so if I hit a snow bank the fold up towards the truck. This is my third season with the same two lights no damage yet. It's kind of a pain to get out and fold them back but it does not happen that often. They come on every time it goes I put it into revers and being down low they light up every thing behind the truck. I could not live with out them plowing but they are great year round because my windows are tinted.
  16. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

i have my extra reverse lights mounted between my bumper and hitch. they are low profile and fit perfectly into that space on my truck (98 chevy silverado 1500 ext.cab short box)

Ill have to get a pic. they are above the hitch so they are not hanging down or vulnerable, and they light up nice even at only 55watts. was gunna wire up to a switch like on my last truck, but just spliced the reverse lights instead.
  17. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Swtiih; that rack is one that I decided to fab up a week ago after seeing what they wanted for one of the "Back Rack" around here about $275 with our 5% tax??? I just couldnt see that much in it?? So I thought I could build one as good; or better . So figured out how I wanted to do it and $66 later for 18' of 1 1/2 X 1 1/2" and around 18" angle iron, with three pieces of 1/8" plate. I welded it all up in a couple hours, and have had orders now to build some for local woods contractors!

PL, This is what we are hoping as well! As that area of light is very needed as the super bright Floods I have up on the rack are reflecting off the top of that tool box and the plywood on top of my saltsand container and really only help out behind the truck farther back then I wanted ??? I think I might have been better off with a more concentrated beam and just aimed them to barely miss the top of the tailgate??

I was very aware that alot of guys could rip them off in ten seconds or less and of course there are even guys out there that can beat and anvil to pieces with a teaspoon???

Z28 post a picture of your setup sounds interesting!
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  18. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I know what you mean by "setting them back". I did the same thing but also put a "protector" around them. This is the second season running them and so far so good.
    See hitch light link in my signature and you can see what I did.
  19. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I do remember seeing yours on here and the very nice welds you made on all your projects. Your certainly a fine craftsman and everything I have seen you make is 1st Class ......................... keep up the good work.
  20. mercer_me

The head ache rack looks great Fisher V Man. That's some good fabrication skills you got there.