1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EXTINCT? is Plowing becomming?? Extinct?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ole Tower, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I DONO? but Common Scemse in just looking around I See Vehicle SALES Lots FULL of 4X4s w/ Plows NEW & USED & here One in just about every driveway WE all realize that Operating a Plowing Business is getting More & More Competitive as More & More 4X4s w/ Plows are Every where & prices*of every thing are rising Daily to Me the Future of the Plowing Business Don*t look all that Great here locally I just drove by our local High School & noticed 1/3 of the Vehicles parked there were 4X4s w/ head gear & on my way Home 7 miles? I saw 20 or More? parked in Yards ME I*M luckyer than Most? having a Full Plowing Route 8 to 10 hours long depending on the Storm? in my trip to Town I passed a number Vehicle Sales Lots & I Dono? I didn*t Count them but I would Guess? I saw 50 or More? New 4X4s w/ Plows for SALE in Fact my Wife & I in Traffic at a Stop Light WE were Surounded by 4X4s w/ Head Gears so whats? the Future of Plowing in Your AREA? as here Locally it Don*t look Good! & in looking at New Plowing Equipment & the Prices! I*D say? that Eliminates most Guys I Know! as Buying NEW would Spoil $50,000 & in USED? You never Know? what Your getting? as Again Common Scense Dictates USED are there for a Reason?--some Problem?--Computer? High Milage? what ever?? as just the Numbers! Dictates theres Too Many! & it will Get WORSE instead of Better? so I See a major Problem in the Future of the Plowing Business! & to ME its Not Comming Soon Its HERE!--OleTower--
  2. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I think it may have something to do with the guys who buy a rig and go out there...price jobs Too Low...then at the end of the year,or years after all the repairs and expenditures or just running the biz that they just arnt making the big bucks that they thought they would...just my thoughts
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That's nothing new.
    I think you are noticing all of the trucks because you are looking for them..

I have stated this for decades.
    Every one and there brother-in-law owns a plow truck in my area.
    There are more 4wheel drive trucks on the road than any other vehicle.
    90% percent of them only plow there own drive and their friends.
    Very few step up to the plate and plow commercially or for money.
    Even fewer are legitimate and the businessmen know this too.
    As they ask for INS and business LIC #.
    I see this as nothing to be concerned about.

Everyone owns a lawn mower but yet lawn care is a growing industry. How can this be as I see new lawn mowers in everyones yards?

I like the idiots they make the rest of us look good.

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have noticed as the years go by that the fly by nighters actually HELP us legitmate business owners in the end. They come out and charge WAY TOO LITTLE and they often overextend themselves thus providing the worst service and the property owner ends up looking elsewhere. I have 2 signed contracts that were awarded to a friend of mine last year that when I gave them my price (almost double what my friend charged) they didn't argue.

People now seem to be looking for service rather than price. The more someone goes with these lowballing morons, the better for us in the long run.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ole Tower - how many in our area do you think plow people to help them out or just for something to do; Maybe plow out their neighbors just to be good neighbors? I'd say that's a big share of the plows you see out there. I can't even remember how many I've talked to who tell me their neighbor, friend, son-in-law etc comes over and plows them out. BUT - I also have picked up some who used to have that kind of setup, but the person just isn't available to do it anymore. They had to take another job or something so they aren't available anymore. Then here I am. Last year, there was a major player in snow plowing who went out of business. Several of his old customers called me and I'd go give prices. This was the same guy who'd been undercutting me by 50% all the time. The customers were pretty shocked when I priced their drive at $30 instead of the $10 they'd been paying. I'd just tell them there must be a reason he's not plowing anymore. Some I got; some kept looking. If anything, I think snow plowing will be around for a long time and may even get more lucrative for the very reasons you're saying; People selling their stuff and high equipment replacement costs. The thing with buying used is that (with plowing equipment) it's usually junk before people sell it (around here, anyway). Then as people find out what replacement/repairs cost; they are less likely to use it commercially. Junk keeps on being junk regardless of how much repair you do to it.
  6. topdj

topdj Senior Member

non commercial people like me cannot promise to be somewhere or do someone's driveway.
    Hell I may be at work or out of town during a storm so they cannot count on me to bail them out.
    If they want service they better call a contractor that can and get ready to pay for the readyness that one of you commercial plowers can provide.