1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

External Tran Coolers Question?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by liks77, Oct 12, 2010.

1. liks77

liks77 Junior Member

I am considering installing a external trans cooler for my 98 dodge ram 1500. I will be plowing residential driveways for the most part. Is this necessary? Is it worth the investment? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

2. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Its worth the investnet get the biggest u can buy!

3. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

4. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

The biggest killers / enemies of the Dodge transmission (46RH, 47RH, 47RE) are heat. The constant backing up you are going to be doing while plowing will generate a lot of heat. Anything you can do to keep the temp down only works to your advantage.....I would also suggest installing a tranny temp gauge so you can keep an eye on your temps.

I also suggest becoming a member over at PavementSucks.com. I know there are a few members on here also but that sight has a ton of info on your 2nd gen Dodge as well as tips and tricks.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  5. liks77

liks77 Junior Member

should the remote filter be part of the install and is it really necessary? Some people feel they aren't really necessary. Thanks for the information!

6. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

You don't really need it but I put one on mine as well. I mean it could save you 2k for a new tranny.

7. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

This is how I did mine.

[​IMG]

8. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

And that's on the cheap side.........

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Let's look at the math.....

$40 for an external cooler

$2000 for a transmission

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd even go so far as installing an electric fan on top of it. Have it on a thermostat and a switch. I plan on doing this in the next few weeks. With the air blockage caused by a raised plow, I want something moving air through my tranny cooler at all times.

11. liks77

liks77 Junior Member

I plan on definitely installing one. I wont do the fan thing yet but I will do the remote filter. Looking to spend around $125 combined for the filter and cooler. I should be able to find something decent.

12. phen440

phen440 Junior Member

13. liks77

liks77 Junior Member

Finally installed the cooler with the filter. Looks great but I think I made a mistake..I cut both transmission lines and only have the trans cooler cooling the tranny fluid. I by-passed the radiator. The cooler is an Ultra Cool Medium Duty made by four seasons part#53002. I was told I could leave it like this but I would need to add a fan or I could re-line everything a run the radiator as an additional cooler. At this point I am not sure what I should do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....the snow is coming!! I have a 98 dodge ram 1500

14. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

I used the rad one and the after market one.

15. My trans cooler is behind the radiator, it's there, but you can't get to it w/ out taking the rad. out. I've been told so many things by mechanics, radiator shops etc. They all seem to say that if you have a trans. cooler, that's all you need. ('98 Dodge 3/4 ton gas, 8' Super Duty Boss). Also, no one can tell me how/where to buy a trans cooler gauge. The trans shop didn't even want to install one.

16. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

The only time you get that tranny cooler is with tow package.

Check these out there cheap and work.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/

Prices are very good. I'm planning to order a 3 pod for my truck.