1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

External tempature gauge

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Plowman II, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Plowman II

Plowman II Junior Member
    from wis

Had a new Hiniker installed on a 2009 Chev 1500 Silverado.When the plow is mounted and driving down the road it makes the external temperature gauge go nuts.Been all the way up to 140 degrees. The dealer claims that it's the sensor I don't buy it.Any thoughts?

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The temperature sensor is likely under the hood, near the front of the truck. The area where it is likely located is probably having the cool outside airflow blocked by the plow. The sensor is likely reading numbers which are skewed from heatsoak from under the hood.

3. Owenservices

Owenservices Junior Member

I have the same problem with a new plow on my 04 1500. i have not seen 140 yes 95 when it was about 20 out tho. Do you like your new plow?

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

So what's the problem, other than you should be using the temp to figureout a different way to carry the plow. The best way should be LOW and ANGLED. The sensor is mounted between the grill and radiator.

5. Mike57

Mike57 Member

I have the same problem on my chevy 1500 with a snow dogg md75. I thought it might be an electrical issue, but comments here indicate a problem with air flow. Does that mean the engine won't cool properly as well?

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

My western does that on my excursion, i have never seen a temp that high though, My buddy has a 2500 with a snow dogg that also does this.

7. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

i have a 02 ram with a boss plow on it it does the same ****. its due to the sensor being mounted right behind the grill on the truck

8. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes air flow is blocked to the sensor u can do two things

1: relocate the sensor where the plow won't block the air flow

2: ignore it

On my diesel ram it read 140 every time I mount the plow you should just worry about your coolant temp not the outside temp

Now my sensor is disconnected and it reads -40 at all times :D

9. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

I have a 07 Dodge Ram and mine blocks the sensor with the plow on....other then my engine warms up a little faster nothing else will be hurt by going down the road that way...at least that's what the mechanics at the dealership said...