1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extension Cord For Magnetic Lightbar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by DeereFarmer, Dec 26, 2008.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Before I get flammed for having a mag mount light, the only reason I have it is so my truck can still fit in my garage. With a lightbar on it does not. Anyway, I need a good extension for the cord. I have one of those cheap ones from Radioshack for now, but it gets warm and I don't trust it. Does anybody know where to get a good quality one? Thanks.

2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

what kind of bar you got ?? you can make one i did ..

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

galls.com sells one
    i believe its around 7-10 bucks
    ill see if i can find it on there for you and post a link

4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

5. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

They have a nice heavy one at walmart for like 10bucks. I use it for my hand held spotlight.

6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Sounds nutz but try TRACTOR SUPPLY or a Truck Stop

7. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

HOOO RAAAAAAA TRACTOR SUPPLY CO LOL TRY GALLS

ps...........Pirsch nice sig pic

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Thanks for the links guys. The Galls one doesn't look any heavier duty than my RadioShack one and it's cheaper than my current one. I might just stick with the one I have now and see if it blows out. It's fused, so it can't do too much damage. BTW I have a Whelen Guradian lightbar.

9. Petetheo

Petetheo Junior Member

Does Rodeo Shack sell anything besides cell phones?

10. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

You can always get some Heavy Lamp Cord and put male and female ends on it.

Lamp cord is usually 14 guage wire.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  11. MoparPlowJockey

MoparPlowJockey Member
    from Indiana

Do you have it plugged into your cigar lighter? If so it is getting hot because it is pulling more amps than the outlet is made for. How many watt bulb? Divide that by 12 and that will give you the amps that it is pulling. ex. 55 watt bulb/12 = 4.5 amps. Poor ground will also cause wire to heat. I would suggest a switch wire straight to the battery. 14 ga wire should be plenty and will cover the drop over a long distance. You can get primary wire(automotive) at most home supply. Cut two equal lengths or red and black, place one end in a vise and the other in your cordless drill. This will twist the two wires together making a neat cord. Solder or using good crimp connector. Weak joints make for resistance(causes heat.

12. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

I agree with the other guy, try Wal-Mart or Target, they might have a slightly heavier duty one.