1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extending wiring plug?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by peterk800xc, Oct 15, 2011.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

I bought a Soundoff Pinnacle LED mini-lightbar last year and had it in my 08 Silverado.I used the power plug in the back of the trucks console by the rear seat.I just bought a Ford Superduty and find the wiring will be to short to where I have to plug into the port on the dash. Is there any opinions/ tips on how to extend the wiring to make it longer? Thanks in advance.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You can cut the wire off about a foot from the plug. Strip the black coating off it each end of the wires (about 6 inches worth). Then cut and strip each wire, make sure to stager then so there isn't a huge bulgs when you crimp the butt connectors on. Usually what I do is cut each wire about a inch longer than the other and so on and so on. Do the same thing with the other end of the factory plug. Once that's done crimp a 18-16 ga. butt connector on each wire. If memory serves correct you'll need 6. 1 per each wire. (3 on each end) then just add the right length wire in place and crimp them down. I'd cover the new wire in loom or electrical tape to dress it up a bit so it doesn't look like trash in the truck. If you have any questions just ask.

3. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Thank you

Thanks for the quick reply.Will be doing it this week. PK

4. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Nothing like soldering and covering with heat shrink tubing. Of course, you have to remember to slide the heat shrink on first. :) If you go the butt connector route, recommend using the heat shrink type.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

As long as they are inside I wouldn't worry about using the heat shrink type. It'll get cover with tape. The heat shrinks are the way to go though.