1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extending the power wire on a Sound-off mini lightbar?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by peterk800xc, Dec 14, 2011.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

I just changed trucks and find that my original power wire with the cigarette plug is to short.I need to lengthen the wire to reach the 12 volt power plug in the cab.The wire that is on it is a flat, 3 wire ( has numerous flash patterns) cord.I called Sound-Off but the price they wanted for an extra few feet of wire was ridiculous.Could anyone tel me where would be a good place to buy some of this 3 wire cord to splice into the orignal one to lenghten it? Thanks in advance.
  2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

i'd check ebay for sure
  3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

or just make your own. splice 3 wires into it. the 3rd wire i believe is just a momentary power or ground to change the pattern. be careful and don't go too long with it because it could blow your fuse in the cig plug. i'm not sure if you have halogen or led or what.. those all have different amp draws and those cords are usually that length for a reason.
  4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I had a problem like this, I found a 12' cigar plug extension cord, and got a 4 way splitter box that plugs into the cigar plug, I run a Falcon mini light bar, some interior lights and 2 Mini phantoms off it with no problems, costs about 10 bucks total. The 4 way splitter has a switchbox on it also, its a nice setup.
  5. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

We have gray shielded 3 wire strobe cables that you could use. They are 5.00 each and have 16 gauge wire in them which is more than enough. I also have some black 3 wire 18 gauge also sufficient in 6 foot lengths for 5.00 also. Shipping will be more than the wire but hope this helps.