1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

extending a tractor plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by columbiaplower, Jan 25, 2003.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

I have a 4 foot plow on a 20hp tractor. i was trying to figure out a way to extend it a foot or two. What is the max i should extend it? We usually only get 6in of snow per storm. Also, how should i go about extending it? Should i have a welder fab somthing? Or should i just rig it up with a couple Home depot snowshovels? :eek: LOL I posted some pictures of the blade now?

mtd plow 001.jpg

2. columbiaplower

3. columbiaplower

2 no really 2

mtd plow 002.jpg

4. columbiaplower

5. columbiaplower

3 no really 3

mtd plow 003.jpg

6. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

extending plow

several years ago I had a plow very similar to the one in the pix, I tried to extend it as you are wanting to do. The big problem I ran into was that the plow was not braced enough to begin with , and that after welding 6" on each side and adding braces it became too heavy for the lifting arm, and would not stay up

Good luck
    Rick

7. cantoo

cantoo PlowSite.com Veteran

8. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

I just widened a Western blade this fall. I chose to get some flat steel and bend it to comform to each side. I then welded it to the existing blade. After that, I grinded down the welds smooth and painted to clean it up a little.

I have a post in the welding forum on this site. It is a little more in detail and shows several pics. Good luck. Jake.