1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extending a plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wyldman, Dec 12, 2002.

1. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have had numerous requests regarding some of our modifications to our snowplows,so I thought I'd post them here so everyone can see them.

First couple pics are what we do to most of our 9 ft blades to make them more productive,yet still easy to transport.The extensions come off easily with two simple hitch pins for transporting or if you just want a 9 ft blade.Slide them on and the blade is almost 12 ft wide,makes a big difference.Also don't have to carry all the extra wieght around when travelling.Most of our contracts on each route are right next to each other,so once they get to the area the go on and stay on all night.I pair the truck with a smaller S10 or full size Jimmy with a smaller blade for the tight stuff.

Here is the first,showing two simple receiver brackets bolted to the backside of the moldboard.We bolt them on so if they break,we bolt on a new set and don't have to cut off any welds.Haven't had to change on yet.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Pic two showing the actual extensions,or wings.Fabricated our own frame,and used poly rinkboard the the local arena was throwing out.The long tubes which go into the receiver brackets are just lightly welded to the brackets and are thin walled so if you really catch something,they will break.They have broken several times,usually at the welds,but they are easy to just tack back on.I'd rather spend 20 mins repairing the extension,instead of repairing or replacing a twisted plow.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Pic 3 shoing front and back of wings.We use old carbides cut down to size for the wings,which slightly verlaps the carbide on the plow.We also mount another set of markers,so you know where the edge of the blade is.It's a lot easier to see the blade with the extensions on,as they stick out on either side of the truck

from NJ

That is awsome.. But I gotta ask.. How did you make the curved back braces to contour to you r moldboards ??
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

The vertical curved pieces were traced out from the original blade.Use a piece of stiff cardboard to trace them onto,then cut them out and used it as a template.From there I made a plywood template which I used as a guide to torch them out by hand.7" grinder smoothed them out.

The last few sets I have had done by the steel co.They either flame cut or water cut them,but they come out beautiful.A little more expensive,but no time or labour involved.
  6. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

Looks pretty awesome! I may have to do that to my 9'er and make 12'.

Got any pics of the extentions in place on the plow? And maybe a front shot?
  7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Chris, It's that time again. Thought I'd bring this back to the top for some review. Jerre
  8. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Those extensions look really nice. They look like they really make the truck more productive. Simple and easy to use is another thing i like about them. pumpkin:
  9. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Chris dug this up in a search. Nice :nod:

I am going to put some sort of wings on my snoway. I talked to snoway technical the other day and they said do not drill holes in the polycarbonate moldboard as it will most certainly crack. I am thinking of trying a hybrid design of a regular pro wing and a pro plus wing (the way the pro plus connects to the blade would be great). Was thinking of using the shoe bracket on the snoway or perhaps welding a brace in between the ribs about midway up for support. I am attempting to do a nice job on them because if they work good I may patent them and sell to snoway or someone. Have you made any wings for a snoway?? or thought about it?? Just asking as you seem to be the resident expert on fabrication :nod:
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Wyldman has not been seen on the site for a long time. Have to find him elsewhere.
  11. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Thanks didn't realize I will seek him out else where :nod:
  12. Guy

Guy Member
    from Alaska

Nice extensions :salute:
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's an old post but it gives people ideas.
  14. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

They are nice, the extensions I built were permanent. I bought a used 7'6" boss v plow and turned it into a 9'2". Its lighter than a 9'2" and just as strong.
  15. pdionne

pdionne Junior Member

Does anyone know of manufacturer of wings that will fit a sno-way series 24 plow. I've got a 2001 F-250 and the blade is too narrow for the truck.
  16. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

check the snoway forum, they just released a wing this year. They are BETA units and I believe are having issues with a few of them, but if you've got a welder, its nothin you can't fix yourself.
  17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

You can either buy a set of Pro Wings from northern tool (northerntool.com) or get a set of the ones that are manufactured by snoway. a lot of people use the pro wings from northern tool but i have heard they arent the strongest and bend easy if you are not careful. the ones from snoway probly cost more but i bet they last a lot longer too.
  18. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Very nice...creative way of solving a problem....the northern tools ones that I've used seemed to be of lighter weight...they bent up when one of the guys stacked with them on...
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  19. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i just realized this thread is from 2002 but they do look like a good idea 12' blade on a pickup is awesome.