1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extended Warranty ???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Earthscapes, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

As i'm reaching 27,000 i have i have been thinking about a extended warranty.
    Hopefully my Allison problems will be over soon, but anyway did you guys buy E/W's and from who ??
    It seems that there are alot of places offering them GM, Wynn's etc. etc. etc.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Some people may disagree,but I would go with any of the aftermarket warranties,like wynn's,GE capital,etc.

Dealers will screw you over on the warranty,but I think you know well enough about that already after the trans deal.

Most aftermarket warranties,you can take it where you want to get it fixed,even the dealer if you wanted factory parts or repairs.Check before hand though.
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I have not bought extended warranty, or even think about it yet. My truck is only a few months ago with over 5K miles on it. From the resource that I have, it seems that GM is the way to go. Many people said that things are smooth with GM warranty and that aftermarket warranty companies are a PITA. Just an information to share.
  4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Wyldman, I think how that works is that the customer still has to come up with the money to pay for the repair first, and then the warranty company reimburses the customer, when good and ready lol. Mike
  5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go to you servicing dealer, or a dealer that you plan to use and ask them what ext. warr. company's they use. At my dealership we use +accept quite a few, but some or more difficult to deal with.. Some cover what should be covered no questions asked. Some will cover, only if an adjuster comes out and approves. Adjusters sometimes take 7+ days to come out. That's a lot of down time. A ext warr. company that your dealer deals with that has a good rep. would be the best even if it's a few more $$
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Go with the GM PP plan. It worked out well for me, as it covered everything that I ever had done to my truck and there was never an issue as to whether or not it was covered. I have a cab and chassis, and even with the fact that it is a commercial vehicle they never looked twice at a repair. Alot of aftermarket policy will not cover commercial vehicles. It works just like the 3/36 warranty but for up to 5/100. Yu have a choice of deductables, and as long as you are under the 3/36 you can add it anytime. I added mine at 35,500 and it wasnt a problem.
    I think it would only be worth it if you plan on keeping the truck past 60-70K miles. Dont waste your time with a salesman, go right to the Finance and interest guy. He doesnt make alot on the deal, but he is the one who writes them, he will get you through ASAP.I bought a 100.00 deductable policy, but went it was processed, it ended up being a 0 deductable. They will also spread the payments out over 12 months or so.
    With me, I was about breaking even on the policy till I had a noise coming from the 4wd system. Ended up being u joints in the front driveshaft, but they didnt figure that out till my entire front steering and suspension was totally rebuilt. So in the end I came out ahead by 1500-2000.00. Plus if you ever do need a big ticket item you are covered. Its like insurance, good if you need it, but a waste of money if you never use it.
  7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks guys. Dino i beleive i will go with the GM policy. It's really only $200-300 more than the wynn's. With 26,800 on the truck (just got it in June) i will be over the 70,000 by 2005.