1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extended warranty questions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Gear_Head, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

Here is my dilemma. My truck is a 1500 with a trailer towing package, but no snow prep. I went last winter without the plow and will not go another again. I have 48000ish miles and an extended warranty thru Chrysler (bought it used from their dealership). Wanting to be legit, I called them to ask how I can add this plow, without voiding the warranty. Their response, I can't due to my truck not having the plow prep package. They will not honor it even if the plow prep package is added by dealership.

I have read on here where somebody takes their plow equip off before sending it in for service. Is this my best option? Is this what others are doing? I like this truck and do not want to trade for another with "the plow prep" package.

thanks.

2. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

nobody has an extended warranty on a non factory plow vehicle?

3. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

First off what kind of warranty is it, powertrain, bumper to bumper. I would ask for a copy of the warranty in writing and look over it. It is up to you on taking off the equipment and taking a chance.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you don't have to take it to a dealer service dept just take it to a local repair joint you trust.When they deal with the warranty company they just don't mention it has a plow on it. If the plow did not break the truck it should not matter. Read the warranty carefully. Some really don't cover much that is not "internally lubricated" such as the engine, transmission and rear end. Some cover very few electronic parts and charging system parts.Keep in mind that you may break parts plowing with a 1/2 ton. It's a fact of life with a light duty truck. The charging system may need upgraded to keep up with the demands of the pump and lights.

5. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I am upgrading the alternator. This plan covers a lot, but I only have it to cover a transmission in all honesty

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Snow Plow prep ... Typically; upgraded alternator, Additional Trans cooler, depending upon the engine an oil cooler and a heavy fan clutch. Typically no 1500 or 1/2 ton is designed for a plow any more.

You have to keep in mind the weight limits of your vehicle while considering plow weight, use.

In the warranties look for the details. They usually have some line that says specifically what the exclusions are or sometimes they reverse the words and say only whats included. ( double speak ).

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

With a towing package you should have the transmission cooler. The bumper to bumper warranty's in theory covers everything. But like I said above most are pretty weak! My Wife has bought the warranty on the last 3 vehicles she's bought. She has made out like a bandit on them ! At least 3 --> 4 times what she paid for the warranty in repairs, towing and rental / loaner cars.