1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extended chute or No extended chute

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by timmy1, Jan 16, 2009.

1. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

I used to have a sander with an extended chute. It seemed to do a better job maybe on narrow driveways. Although I never hit anything, you always had to be very careful backing up, a crusty snowbank could do a lot of damage. Now, I have no extended chute and my spinner is waist high so more than likely, my rear tires will hit the snow before the spinner.

What do you prefer?

2. BigJohnsonPlow

BigJohnsonPlow Junior Member

I have both but can't say I like one over the other. The high chute works better to keep material from "sliding" across the ice and is also better as you said to stay out of the snowbanks. The low chute works better on keeping material from flying around such as hitting parked cars that you spread next to. It tends to "slide" the material underneath. If you have a regular pickup bed, you definately need the high chute, but if you have a flat bed or dump body I would tend to lean toward the low chute. Little nicer spread pattern on the low chute as well.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I like the extended chute, helps to sling the salt under cars.........

4. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I don't have an extender on my spreader and this allows me to trailer with the unit in. I fastened a thick piece of rubber behind the spinner to protect the hitch and elec hookup area. The company came out with a swing up shoot the year after my purchase. You are correct about less potential damage when backing up.

5. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

mine is also waist high and I like it

6. CMLawnCare

CMLawnCare Junior Member
    from CT

I think the way to do it is using the standard short chutes, even on dump trucks/flat beds. On my f-350 Dump truck i have a Torwel sander with a short chute and it works great. I have the sander secured in my dump bed by using a custom fabricated piece of steel running between the 2 "Tail gate pin clamps" and its bolted to the sander. I then bolted 2 mud flaps to the piece of steel and its protects the whole hitch plate. As soon as you damage a long chute you're up to $1000 bucks to replace it. And by the looks of things. it doesn't take much when you slide into a frozen snow bank. All it takes is one little mistake and your out a sander as well as paying 25% of the original cost of the sander to buy a new chute.

7. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Yes, I have a 48" wide Uniflap between my chute and the hitch as well.

8. Mcouture13

Mcouture13 Junior Member

Torwel / Curtis Spreader....

Hello,
    I work for Torwel Industries, and would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself to you, I have about 7 years of Torwel knowledge under my belt, if you'd like any help with any question/concern you may have, parts you may need, etc... I'd be happy to help!

***On another note, Curtis is no longer selling spreaders, and we took over this season for them, since Torwel has manufactured their spreaders for 10 years, and will continue to help out the Curtis customers with parts, new equipment, etc...

Torwel has been manufacturing spreaders for over 50 years, and we have a strong heritage as well as our commitment to a superior product backed by the best customer service in the business without all that corporate runaround.

Thanks for your time,
    Sincerely,

Mike Couture

Sales Consultant, Snow & Ice Division
    Torwel Industries, a division of Sanweld Industries, Inc.
    19 Industrial Park Road East,
    Oxford, MA 01540
    mcouture13@me.com
    P: 800.225.9415
    F: 508.987.8580
    www.torwel.com