1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extended Cab vs Regular Cab

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Nov 8, 2004.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

What does everyone prefer for a pickup? I personally find that my extended cab plows better than my regular cab. I also like the extended cab so I can keep tools etc and a place for my dog to go.

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I could not stand having a reg cab for a daily driver, just not enough room. I use the back seat of my truck to store things, tools, etc. However, you could fit two adults in the back seat if you wanted to. As far as plowing goes, i don't think it would make that much difference except for a little bit more weight on the front end.

3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

My first truck was an 86 F-150 Reg Cab 4x4 that I used mainly for work, never plowed with it. But I remember hating the fact that if I had any stuff in the truck it was always on the passenger seat and had to be either moved or removed if someone had to get in to ride with me. The "storage" behind the seat was a joke. When the 300 six finally gave up after 200,000, I wasn't too upset. It didn't owe me a thing.
    I love my 2000 Ram Quad Cab, it's perfect for my needs. Room for storage and room for my wife and 3 kids if necessary. I don't know if it makes any difference plowing, but I don't care. I'll never go back to a regular cab pickup again! It's so nice to have enough room for my stuff and for people, there's just no comparison in my mind. Just my .02 :D

4. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Do any of you out there plow with a Crew Cab? (4 real doors, not ext cab doors) I a freind of mine has a 2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab and he is thinking about putting a 8.5' Fisher MM2 on it. Should he or should not?
    Thank You

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got an extended cab with an 8' box. It's long but the 8' box is a life saver. Just took some time getting used to plowing with it. Plus, I've got to haul the future owners of my business in it. :D

Resized_DSC00013.jpg

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Boss, you ought to change your avatar to that pic, it's a much better shot of your rig. :bluebounc

7. The Boss

Good idea, how's this?

8. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Better, but if you have software to crop photos I'd try and get rid of the grass in front and have as much of the truck in the shot blown up if you can kind of like mine is. Then it'd be awesome I think!

9. The Boss

Or this? :confused:

10. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Either's good, though I think I like the first one better, but like I said if you could crop everything out except the truck that'd do the trick because you know you lose alot when you shrink the pic down for the avatar.
    Still, a nice rig either way :bluebounc

11. The Boss

Thanks John!! :drinkup: I've trying to find a pic. of Ted Nugent to use. :D

12. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Back on topic....

I have owned 3 pickups:

1) Dodge Dakota 4x4 Reg Cab.
    2) GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Z71 Reg Cab 8' box
    3) GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Reg Cab 8' box

I have loved my reg cab pickups. I have weatherguard's largest saddle box for all my tools(well all the ones I need daily, have a trailer for the rest). I have driven Extended cabs, even thought of buying one, but I need the 8' box, and thinking of turning an extended cab truck around that had an 8' box just seemed like driving the queen mary to me. That all that space behind me in the cab freaked me out :eek:. I use my truck to do work with it not Taxi people around, so if the passenger does not snuggling up to my tool pouch, cordless drill box, and sitting in some saw dust, then they can drive themselves.

Seriously it is a personal thing, drive what you like....

13. The Boss

Ok how's this John?

14. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Damn. I hate to say it but it doesn't seem to be any better quality wise and I can't figure out why. Look at mine and frozen's, the quality and detail are better even for a small pic. Weird. Well, whatever, I guess you have to decide if you like it or not. Suits me. :drinkup:

15. The Boss

Good enough for now. :nod:

16. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I think the key is to start out with a good pic that is already small. My Digital camera has a mode that allows small "e-mail" images to be saved with every shot I take, so I have a clear image that is a mini of the larger full size photo, which is what I started with for my avatar.

17. The Boss

My new one has that too. When I took these pics, it was with the old one. No such feature on that one.

18. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Well, I guess you better get out and take some new pics then :D

19. The Boss

I'll have to wait until I put the blade on again. Hopefully that's not too long. :redbounce

20. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I love my Reg cab. I don't mind having to put all my junk in the passenger seat, when I am plowing I am alone anyway. But if someone goes with me I gotta take some stuff out or put it behind the seat or in the middle. I like my Extended cab for my Z makes it look good :D