1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extended cab vs regular cab - xcab a nono ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by peterng, Oct 11, 2010.

1. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I know it's too late, I already bought the truck. I was all excited about it, 2001 Ford f150 7700 xlt xcab w/ fisher 7.5' MM. After having driven it for a while now I find it awefully big. I know you guys will be hard on me but I like my Toyota pickup. Great visibility and I know the extents of the truck dead on. I find this truck will take some getting used to.

Main thing is I have been wishing I got a reg cab for all the maneouvering that is required.

What's the concensus ? Just get used to it? friggin tinted windows wha was I thinking ?

2. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Go with what your comfortable with. Afterall your the one driving it not us. You will get used to driving it if you like driving. If not then it will be always fighting you.

Personally Im a crewcab longbed type of guy with a 20' enclosed trailer in tow.

You can peel the window tint off. Its easy. Take a razor blade and peel away. Use soap and water to remove the glue or rubbing alcohol.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I prefer regular cabs for plowing, but my Dodge is a 4 door for practical reasons. I hate plowing with it, but it's what I have.

4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I have two crew cab trucks that we plow with, and once you are used to the size it gets easier. At least on commercial lots we don't have issues.

As I add additional trucks I'll be looking for reg. cab long beds for bigger salters, and extended cab short beds.

5. peterng

peterng Senior Member

The more reading I'm doing I'll keep the 7700 for mission critical (like my own 1400' long driveway) but I'll likely finally throw the old 6'5' fisher on my 1989 toyota pickup. It's do for 95% of residential I suspect.

http://www.monsterplow.ca
    Pete

6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

You do all that work and only have that (1) 1/2 ton?

7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure about Ford, but the GM extended cabs with the 6.5' beds are only 10" longer than the regular cab 8' bed. I wondered about the handling of my first GM's for that reason, but I quickly learned to love the trucks with extended cabs.

Good luck!

8. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I do driveways with a crew cab short bed GMC. Its fine. You learn how to make it work for ya. Its all in your head.

9. monsterplowing

monsterplowing Junior Member
    from Canada

dudes that company is not his - mods please delete this guy - he put my company's website in his sig! I was browsing through my site stats and came upon clicks from plowsite. then saw the link in his sig. What the hell dude?

and i know that hes been around here for longer and this is my first post, but check out my screen name - lol.

Monster Plowing Company is a divison of Monster Property Services INC in Toronto - Owned by me. We have 5 trucks and over $200000 in annual snow removal sales.

Please get my website out of this guys sig, I do NOT want to be represented by him.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  10. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Sorry for the apparent confusion. The monsterplow.ca reference was used as an example, they use Jeep's for residential work.

I didn't mean to imply that it was my web site.
    Pete

11. monsterplowing

from Canada

cool, no worries man. now i take it as a compliment.

12. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Monster,

Please reread my post, I was referencing your site as an example of someone who uses smaller equipment. If it was in my signature, it would be in more than one of my posts.

How about you contribute with some commentary on your choice of Jeep's for residential plowing ?

Again, sorry for the confusion, it should be clear that it was not intended. I can see how it was interpreted that way. My apologies.
    Pete

13. monsterplowing

from Canada

My bad brother I overreacted, just didnt realize u were referencing.

Jeeps are great for plowing tight driveways. I have 2 with 6.5 footers on them - you can turn on a dime and visibility is great

14. peterng

peterng Senior Member

ya that's what I was getting the sense of. I've plowed for a lot of years with my 1989 Tonka 22RE pickup and it`s a champ. Gonna take me a while to get used to this Ford 7700, can`t even see the plow down over the front right corner while seated. What`s rear of me and where is just a guess.

I`ll run the Toy and take some time to get used to the 7700. It will do on my 1400`driveway here just fine but in town on the 40 footers I`ll be running for the Toyota I suspect.

Glad you didn`t condemn me in the end, I was pretty damn impressed with your web site and was sorry to step on toes.

Here`s the 2 companies I am involved with, stumpin full owner, yardtech 20% in. Just wrapping up my second year at the stumping, just in the process of signing forms to buy into the other outfit. I needed more labour, so thought I`d buy into it.

I`m running the Alpine Magnum stump grinder in the pictures on the yardtech site.

www.neilsson.com
    www.yard-tech.ca
    Pete

15. monsterplowing

from Canada

that yard tech site is really nice too, good job dude.

16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

you will like it, i have tinted windows on my truck that i plow with. nothing a couple worklights cant fix. i also plow with a stick trans, so you got it easy, you will also relized you wont want anything smaller for plowing after you get used to it with the exception of a few driveways. give it a shot and see what happens!

17. peterng

peterng Senior Member

New boss,

That is the to the point opinion I was looking for. I'll focus more on rigging up the big truck and calling it primary. As time permits, I may get some timbrens for the tonka and keep running it as well. It'll outlast whatever else I ever buy till the gov makes me take it off the road.
    Pete