1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extended Cab/ Snow plow prep package

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JThompson, Sep 16, 2003.

1. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

I am looking to buy a late model F 250 or 350. I was recently told that the extended cab (not talking crew cab) is not desirable if one is going to be plowing with the vehicle. Aside from the turning raidus what else would an extended cab affect? Am I missing something with regard to the truck or was I given incorrect info?

Also, does anyone plow with these vehicles without the snow prep package? If so, I would appreciate any feedback with regard to performance and/or how the truck holds up. Thanks!

2. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I have a 02 F250 super cab with the 5.4 and plow pkg.
    The truck is great!

Sure it's abit long but it pushes great
    If I were doing drive ways, yes it to big
    Plowing lots it's great

My brother in-law has a 01 super cab with the v-10 and no plow
    pkg.
    The front end is abit softer but it carries the plow just fine
    He has a std. cab 03 with a v-10 also
    And the truck he likes to plow in is the Super cab
    And he has got to be hardest person I've ever know on
    trucks, zero problems with the trucks so far

We both have 8' western pro's

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

mostly it has to do with an extended cab having more weight on the nose. That means you have less weight for a plow. if you get an ex cab short bed it will have the same wheel base as a reg cab long bed.

4. Santo

Santo Banned

Need a country mile to turn around.

5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

The truck will handle a 8ft plow with out any problem. turning around will be tough but not impossible. Your warrenty may be effected if the truck is new so consider that when making your purchase. timbrens will help the truck carry the plow:)

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Alot of us have extended cab trucks. Sure it may be a little more difficult in tight residential driveways, but its only another 1.5' added to your truck length. In fact I heard that the longer wheelbase trucks are better at plowing snow. Not sure how to explain this, but this is what I am told before. It may plow better than shorter wheelbase trucks, but the truck would be less manuever in tight driveways.

7. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

I have both standard cab & an extended. The extended is harder to manuver, but is a more stable unit. It doesn't slip as easy. Would definitly buy another.

8. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I use an ext cab and yes it's like plowing with a school bus. But then I do just drives.

Alot of my accounts are big drives, so it works well. I do have a couple of smaller ones that are just nothing but a PIA.

It mainly creates more of a problem for whoever I have running the stick plow :rolleyes:

Mark

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

The longer the truck,the better it will push.Only drawback is manueverablilty.

You can upgrade the front springs quite easily to help carry the plow.

10. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I have GMC's... regular cab and extended cab. The extended cab with the short bed (6') is about the same length as the regular cab and 8' bed. But the turning radius is reduced.

We have 2500 HD's... which we hang 9'2" Boss V's on. They are heavy enough that without weight in the rear end we loose traction. Just a wet road surface on an incline and I'm spinning tires. The regular cab 8' has an 8'2" on it, which isn't as heavy, but I don't think we have the same weight requirements in the back end. I'm assuming this has to do wtih the extended cab in part, but not sure.

If you're plowing residentials it may not be idea due to turning radius, for commercial, no problem.

11. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Heres one of our extended cab trucks. 01 F-250 Powerstroke Diesel. I agree that driveways would be tough, but we only plow commercial lots. It plows great. We always put 900lbs of tube sand in the bed, behind the axle.

12. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Sorry, heres the picture.

2001plow.jpg