1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extendable plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by m_falafel, Dec 11, 2010.

1. m_falafel

m_falafel Member

I have a 2007 f-350 and I'm in the market for an extendable plow. The guy that had the pick-up before me put a 7.5 ft meyer lot pro on it and it's far too small for a truck this big... So I'm curious to know your opinions on which is the best and why? Fisher, western, Blizzard? Did I forget one?

So far fisher's price is 13 600$ For an XLS and a 7ft Poly hopper Installed. Also keep in mind that in canada we always pay more for no reason at all... But I'm curious to know how much the same thing would cost in the states?! Let's say in Vermont or Northern New York state.

2. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I have a Blizzard 8611 on my '11 F350. No complaints so far. The extra 12" makes a difference for me. I especially like the extra width for backdragging.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I just bought my xls for $5500 and I installed it myself.

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

All 3 a good, but IMO the blizzard is the best. Steel wing edges, and a better attack angle. The blizzard also puts more weight on the cutting edge then the other 2.

5. m_falafel

m_falafel Member

??? I want more opinions. Please :)

6. lilweeds

Use the search this has been talked about plenty over the past few years.

7. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Search it. You should find plenty of opinions on the best. I'm a blizzard fan. I just can't see rubber wings scraping as good as metal edges.

8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Who is the closest dealer ?

9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Go with the original, time tested best, Blizzard.

10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Three....I own an XLS and Love it..Most Productive Plow i have ever used...

I have used the Blizzard and Wideout and really liked those.....

Expandable Plows have a Big Place in the Snow Plowing Field...:salute:

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Blizzard, direct lift and the speedwing is the choice from amoung the triplets.

12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

what is the attack angle on a blizzard. 70 degrees is the xls.

13. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Why not keep the plow you have and put some buyers plow extensions and add almost two feet to your existing plow.

14. lilweeds

To be honest I don't remember exactly and it may have changed with the new ones. The XLS would be my second choice and the Wipeout would be third.

15. m_falafel

m_falafel Member

So far Blizzard's are the most popular. I heard that because of the hydraulic system the ground clearance is greatly reduced. Is this true? I often need to go over sidewalks so that'd be an issue. Also heard that the "wings" do not stay in place when back dragging?! Any of this is true?

16. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

I paid 5900 installed for my wideout.I just plowed 6 inchess of snow and the wings stayedput even when plowing drifts.Best plow i have ever owned!

17. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

The wings do go forward on the Blizzard periodically when backdragging but only if you hit a lip or something other than just snow, this is while
    backdragging. I paid $6500 installed w/ tax for the 8611. 810 was $6300, same as the Western wideout.

18. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

The lift piston on the blizzard does hang pretty low. You will need to be careful when going over sidewalks. We have ours on W3500 cab overs and they are awesome. Ours are the older pre DD 810s. I don't have any experience with the newer plows.