1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

extend cab vs reg cab?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bullit340, Oct 29, 2006.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

I am starting to dislike my f250 supercab. I have a hard time backing etc..with the towing mirrors. I have no problem whatsoever with the same style towing mirrors on my f350 dumps. I am starting to think that its due to the extended cab. Do you guys prefer to plow with the reg cab or does it not matter to you?
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Depends what type of plowing you are doing. For residentials I would really prefer a regular cab because it is shorter, a better turning radius, and you can see much better backing up. You can get into the tighter spots a lot easier. If I was doing lot plowing, I don't think it would really matter to me, but I have never plowed big lots before.
  3. NASConst_land

NASConst_land Member

We plow all commercial lots, and all of our trucks but 1 are extended cab or crew cabs. None of us seem to mind having the cab although we have two F-250 Ext Cab Short bed.. and then we have one F-250 Red cab long bed. The short beds definently have a better turning radius it seems.. Could just be the different tires I guess. I wouldnt trade my F-250 ext. cab short bed for anything.. well except maybe the new F-450 that will be out for 08.
  4. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

We have one ext cab long box chevy, its a 06 2500hd, and that thing is a boat, but it works great for the large lots we do, it can get a little tight in small areas though. We have a regular cab one also, and that one you can see way better behind you, and it turns way sharper, I personaly hate plowing with the ext cab one, I try not to if I dont have to, lol thats what I know
  5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Ext/crew cabs are nice to have, but they're not as nice to plow with as a reg. cab.
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My personal truck will always be atleast extended cab or crew cab. I dont have a problem plowing with my F-250 Supercab Shortbox...It's all in how you drive and getting used to what your equipment can do and where it can go...:)
  7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I dislike my crew cab for multiple reasons. I would do anything to have my regular cab back. That was a large mistake I made.....selling the regular cab to upgrade to a crew cab.
  8. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I dislike crew/extend cabs. Regular cabs all the way.
  9. snowpoe

snowpoe Member

I have had 2 3/4 ton reg cab plow trucks that I plowed w/for 12 yrs & they were not bad to plow with res or commercial

The last 2 yrs I have used a 1/2 ton full size blazer & I am now spioled .They are great for the residential & I can even turn around in a double wide drive & can manuver around much faster. Down side is I carry my shovel ,braodcast spreader & salt in the back & it is a ***** getting out all the time.I might build a hitch carryer for it or put a reciever mount salter on it ,but that will take away from backing into tight areas.:realmad:
    cant have it all although I could plow the comm & do the salting & then take it off & do the res

I just bought a 1/2 ton ext cab silverado & I can tell already that it will be very difficalt to plow with,cause of the visibility for backing(tinted windows must be taken off)& the manuvering the big bus.

I think I will keep the blazer around & use it for res plowing, that is how much I like it:nod:
  10. snoking

snoking Senior Member

it comes down to what you like and what you are willing to give a cance to work...i love my crew cabs. have three....the bigger one a f350 crew dully 8 foot bed 10 foot sno-way up frony and and expanding blade in back so its extra long and wide. ide plow anything from the tightest res to the biggest commercial....unless it was made for a jeep, ros and cons every where. but even the smaller trucks have back blades, so we dont ever turn around to plow a drive, back in drop the back blade, doulbe wde drive in one pass. get to the road pick up the back drive forward past the snow drop the back down back upand pile. 2mins average time per drive, crew cab, or smaller.

im sure you know how to plow very well, so pick what you like, in 5 drives it wont matter youll be adjusted to it...thats from personal experiance
  11. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

I have been plowing in my ext cab gmc for 4 yrs. now , granted it is a 6' box I have no real problems with it. I also have tinted windows. That is a mistake I will not make again ! I found the only way to deal with that was add tractor lights under the rear bumper and halogen back up bulbs.. I light up like a Christmas tree...lol but at least it helps out seeing through the tinting.
  12. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

For some reason I find a difference with the ex-cab part. Our 1 tons all have dumpbodys on them so there is no rear window but I still find them way easier to drive and plow with. My 250 supercab has the short bed so turning radius isn't really an issue there are just too many blind spots that the mirrors dont pick up. I have been trying to get this right for a year now and it still isnt hapening. I think I am going to get a reg cab. Thanks for all the replies
  13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have never plowed with a regular cab so I cant vouch for them but I have gotten use to my F-250. I use to plow with a 2001 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab, and that thing was nice too.:rolleyes:
  14. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I have ext. cab ford and wish they had a rear defroster.
  15. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I run a 2500 ext cab but I have the short box on it. I don't find it too bad. The wheel base on that is 10" longer than on the regular cab truck. I am ussed to it now. I test drove a crew cab a couple of years ago - even with the short box and the wheel base was I think 10" longer again. Well, let's just say I didn't buy it. I like the room in the ext cab and the back seat makes a not too bad bed on those long nights when I can squeeze a couple hours of sleep in. Kind of handy after 20-24 hrs straight plowing (ok, so I may take on a bit too much work but hey, it beats working in the summer).

One thing I really notice though is that my ext cab trucks seem to get better traction when plowing. When I hop in ot the regular pickup, I seem to be sliding all over the place. I don't know if it is due to the longer wheelbase or the extra weight in the middle of the truck because of the ext cab, but there is no doubt it makes a difference.:nod: