1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ext. cab vs Reg. cab

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by andcon83, Nov 9, 2012.

1. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I have a regular cab now. Would kind of like to have and extended cab but was wondering how many people plow with an extended cab and how they like them.

2. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I have a regular cab, an extended cab and crew cabs. They all plow great, difference in length is not much. Personally I like the crew cabs.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It's easier to see when you have a reg. cab but, I think the extra space is worth having an extended cab.

4. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I have an extended cab and love it. My tool box, extra pump, spare parts,tow strap, jacks and extra clothes are all in the back seat easily accessible and dry and i still have plenty of bed room for salt and shovels.

5. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

I'll probably be in the minority, but I miss my regular cab. I had a 2005 Chevy 2500 regular cab, and I wish I had it back. Now I've got a crew cab, plows fine, the extra space is nice for the dog, but overall I want my regular cab back.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Reg cab is best for plowing. Shorter wheelbase and less weight on the frontend

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

For plowing there is nothing better then a reg cab.

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Regular cab was nice for plowing, but I'll never go back to anything but crewcab for a pickup, extended cab sucks when compared to how much nicer the crewcab is for life in general...

9. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I prefer a regular cab, especially for plowing. I have one ECSB with a tool box on the back, with the box on there, it doesn't leave you much room. Plus with the tool box, visibility is poor.

10. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Regular cab 2500 & 3500 series trucks are getting harder to find used. A friend of mine went to a few used car lots looking at trucks. He wanted a regular cab, the sales man said they are hard to come by and when they do find one, it sells quick. So I guess they are more popular than we realize.

11. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Ecsb here too. It's an '01. It measured just about one foot longer wheel base than my old reg cab. I'd never go back to Reg cab.
    I'm a Fire Fighter and my gear rides in the back along with tools, tow straps, chains and who knows what.

12. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

agreed i love my extended cab to put a person in or just somestuff in if i have too

13. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

I have plowed with reg. and ext... Regular was nice for visibility, ext. was nice for space (but awful for rear window fog) and now I have a CCSB and it has a rear defroster.I feel like the CCSB is going to be my favorite :)

The overall space for daily driving is great

14. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

i think everyone is on the same idea that if your only going to work out of the truck and plow a reg. cab is the way to go but a crew cab is nice if you have kids or equipment that you need to keep locked up out of the elements. i love the way a crew cab looks however i have my caddy to drive around my freinds and family my truck is only used to work out of so i have a reg. cab 8' bed with a toolbox. it is great to work out of as it has plenty of room!!

15. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

If you're working out of the truck for many hours at a time then extended cab is great for having a place to spread out...take your jacket off, keep lots of snacks handy, keep your tools warm so they don't freeze your hands, reach your arms back and stretch once in a while, etc.

16. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

OK I have one standard cab, one extended cab, one suburban, one crewcab all with plows.
    I personally like the suburban.

17. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I'm extremely picky on my type of truck! Older trucks I only like single cabs with long beds, but newer trucks, I only like extended cabs, not crew cabs, with short beds. I have no idea why I'm so picky. I can't stand long beds on new trucks! But if its a dually, it has to be a crew cab with a long bed!

18. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Thanks for all the great opinions. I am having an hard time fitting 4 people in my regular cab. But, I just hate to get a truck not knowing if i will even like it or not. Have heard that before about the back window fogging up. A defogger is definitely in the equasion if i go ext. cab.

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

If you use your truck for anything other than just plowing then you'll definitely enjoy an extended or crew cab truck.

20. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I don't have a family to carry but I just traded my crew cab 6.5' bed & went back to reg. cab 8' bed. There's pros & cons to everything. I got tired of the lengthy wheelbase & the back seat collected clutter. I've had all 3 versions. The extra cabs with suicide door can be PIA when loading/unloading between cars. I've read where Chevy is going to traditional door on extra cab when they redesign. My '03 extra cab didn't feel as solid when you shut the door. Kinda jouncy.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012