1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ext Cab Shortbox for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RAZOR, Jan 26, 2002.

1. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Right now I have a reg cab long box, but I am thinking of a ext cab shortbox for my next truck. I know they have a slightly longer wheelbase, which would make them less manuverable in tight places. and I was also wondering about any problems with seeing traffic etc. while backing up. Do those small windows fog up or block your vison. I have driven a ext cab longbox in the past and think it would be too long for the small lots and residential plowing that I do(alot of back dragging). It would be nice to have the extra room in the cab but is it worth the extra money and any other drawbacks.

Razor

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i just got a 2002 chevy 2500Hd ext. cab short box. i was leary about the extra wheelbase, but after the few storms we've had i havent really noticed it being that much different than the reg. cab. the only time i notice it, is when you are turning, and the rear tires will ride up onto the snow where the plow didnt get. as far as back windows fogging up, it wont happen. the heater in the cab keeps em fog free and you dont really even need to look out those windows. i do recommend getting the rear window defogger as opposed to the sliding door.

3. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Problems ?

I've plowed the last 8 yrs with Chevy Ext.Cabs Short Boxs & have no complaints. Cost for the extra room,well worth the cost. :) Brent

4. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Likewise for me. I bought a 99 Chev 2500 this year (ext cab/short bed). Manuverability is slightly less, but not so much that it will cause you a lot of problems. I have had some trouble with the back and side windows fogging up when it is snowing, or when I'm pushing a real powdery snow, but I just keep the defrost/heat setting up a notch or two and crack both windows. (I smoke, so my window is half way down most of the time anyway...) Go for it, I sure enjoy mine.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I plow with both reg cab long box,and excab short boxes,the reg cab is a much better plow truck,no doubt about it,but if it was my only truck,id go with the excab short box all the way.I dont know about Fords,but the Dodge excab short box will easily turn inside the Gm reg cab long box.The gm excab short box is a long truck,and the turning radius is much bigger than the Ram,test drive them both,you'll be impressd with the tight turning abilitys of the Ram.The GM;s handle better on the road due to axle design,but for plowing the Dodge is the much nicer truck to drive.Make sure the truck you buy is rated to plow,the excab adds qite a bit of weight,all on the front end.

6. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

John,

Good points about the dodges tighter turning but, the reason that the Chevy has a bigger circle is the cab, the back seat and front for that matter is bigger than both Ford and Dodge, so while you get more turning you get less back seat room. I am 6'2" tall and fit well behind the GM front seats but both the ford and dodge was a bit tighter. Again, how much do you want is the question. If you are using the seat for storage, go for the dodge, if you are going for back seat seating, GM has more room.

Lenny

7. John DiMartino

Some of the reason is the cab,the wheelbase is only 5" longer on the GM,but the turning radius is much better on my 138.5"wb Dodge,than my 131.5 GMC,much better.There is more to it,the wheels simply turn much further on the Dodge,probably a side benefit of regular U -joints.Strong CV joints,like those found on the 2500HD,cannot turn as tight.I do agree the GM 99 and newer cab has about 2-3 " more room on excabs,although the Dodge feels much roomier to me in the drivers seat,at least 5" wider, I love my center console,it swallows all my small paper work,and plow log easily,and makes a great little desk for writing up bills,and doing quick paper work on the road.good thing my kids are 6,4,and 2,they love my diesel.and will fit fine for years to come.Once they bggier i wil be looking for a crew cab for sure.

8. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

John,

You forgot one important thing, your truck sounds like a diesel, oh how I wish mine sounded like yours, the Duramax is just toooooo quiet. It sounds muffeled while the Cummins sounds like a peterbilt. Just another point to mention, nothing to do with cab size.

Lenny

9. John DiMartino

Yes,nothing says truck like the Cummins turbo diesel,I love the sound 80% of the time,I wish it were quieter at drive thru banks,and fast food,and when coming home late at night,when my kids are sleeping,when i leave in the am,I can pop it in N,and coast down the driveway,then fire it up,coming in,its up hill,they can hear me coming home,and wake up sometimes.I plow one account where i have to back in the wash bay,its a huge bay,120 ft long 16 ft wide door 14 ft high,then push out,my truck sounds so good in there,between the turbo whistle,4" exhaust,and engien sound,all the guys who work there come out,and think there's a KW in there to get washed,but its just my little Dodge.

10. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Nothing says POWER better than that "diesel" sound.

Someday, maybe someday.

Bruce

11. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

I have found my xtra cab to be a little more difficult in certain applications. My Ford is an 8ft reg cab, and the xcab sb Ram has a much tighter turning radius even with the longer wheelbase.

The Ford will clear a drive-thru on a pass, where the Ram cannot due to it's wheels riding up on the curb if turned to tight. the xcab also requires a little more care when backing up tight to buildings. If I were buying a truck JUST for plowing, it would probably be a reg cab, preferably a shortbed 3/4(do they make those?)

12. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

Dave,

No they don't make a short bet 3/4 ton that I know of, just short beds on the 1/2 tons.

John,

In your gloating :D you forgot to mention how much bigger your gas tank is then mine. I only have 26 gal w/ a short bed, 34 with a long bed while you have 34(?) short and 35 long. I mean, what the HEL$ was GM thinking???? I don't know about ford, but if you are looking for a diesel go with a dodge or GM anyway. If you are getting a gaser go with GM and the 8.1 unless you want to wait for dodges new v10.

Plow jockey,

I noticed you said "someday" you should think, next truck. I know @ 4500 bucks or so diesels are expensive but, you get a lot more in return. for example, the new 8.1 big block GMs are getting about 10 to 13 mpg, I am getting 16 to 19, I have extened oil change intervols and don't have any tune ups. Both of which help breakeven or save money over all. I have heard of people breaking even with a diesel s at 75k to 100K miles, just about the time you are going to need a new motor or a big tune up with a gaser. Also, with a diesel , like John will tell you, you can go 400K miles on ONE motor and no rebuilds (according to Cummins) I expect to get 200k out of my engine and tranny, after all they are warrented for 5 years 100K miles from the factory, I don't see any gasers comming with that in a Light Duty truck. Just some food for thought

Lenny

13. DaveO

from Ma.

Diesel

Lenny,

35 gal, I get 600+ miles before stops not towing. Pulling 7Klbs to Daytona last year netted 14mpg...@85+. It definitely uses more fuel at higher speeds.

ROI? I figured out the 1st year had saved $2400 in fuel. This was calculated using 35K miles, 18mpg avg for the diesel, and 10 mpg average for my gas Ford. At that time I had been paying about $1.09 for diesel, and $1.29 for gas. Saving was $2395. For the last 20K miles I have saved less due to gas being cheaper than diesel around here ($1.19 vs $1.07). This would amount to another $817 in savings, bringing the total to $3212 in 55K miles.

Another point to remember is if/when I sell this truck. The diesel's are worth $4-5K more than a similiar gas truck around here. And lately the diesel's are one of the hottest sellers in the used market.

And yes, Cummins spec's 400K miles between overhauls, 150K between valve adjustments. Navistar and Isuzu claim 200K miles for their overhauls.

BTW...Johnny's truck may need an additional fuel tank. I hear his injectors are rated @ 100lbs/hr...LOL

Dave

14. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

Dave,

I missed the 100lb/hr joke?????

15. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Lenny

That was just alluding to the fact that right now all I have are gas engined vehicles.

You must understand I work for GM and used to grind camshafts at the 6.2 liter engine plant. I believe in diesels.

I may, however, need more than one plowable snowfall a year to justify ANY new truck. Heck at this rate mine will last forever LOL.

Bruce
    New location: The snowless midwest

16. DaveO

from Ma.

Lenny,

Let's just say they are LARGE enough to run a small power plant!! According to the N.Y. D.O.T. he may be the largest single depleter of crude in the state.....LOL

DAve

17. John DiMartino

LOL,my truck gets the same or better mileage with my "showerhead" injectors,LOL.I love the 34 gallon tank,I can plow a complete storm,without using a 1/2 tank,I love it.If i stab the throttle i can roll out the smoke on demand,great for those tailgaters that dont get the hint after a few taps of the brake pedal.

18. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

John,

That must be nice, but I must say I enjoy seeing only a faint haze under load, I think they black smoke is neat to a point but when it soils your paint and trailer in tow, then I draw the line. So your "bombed" as you cummins guys say, what ya got done????

Lenny

19. John DiMartino

I only get smoke with the box on levels 4&5,with the box off,or on levels 1-3 I get a quick puff of smoke if i nail it hard,off boost,than no smoke at all.One nice thing about the 24 Valve is it can put out 350hp/750 ft lbs at the wheels with no smoke,I havent had any soot on my trailer at all,my brother followed me at night,whiel i was towing 7800 lbs,I was asking him on the cell phone,if it was smoking,no smoke at all,I was happy.I have this power edge comp http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/products.html url] and these ,stage 3's http://www.dieseldynamics.com/ ,+ a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2002
  20. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

John,
    750 ft lbs??? are you trying to make me trade in my truck???? First you tell me build quality has really increased and now that, I can't find $hit for my truck, a box and exhaust that's it. Anyway, I am gonna check it out.....

Lenny