1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Explorer strength

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jrjr2u, Oct 9, 2009.

1. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

Anyone plowing with a Ford Explorer? I wonder how tough they are structurally. Anyone bent the frame or anything?
  2. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I'm plowing with a 2004 Explorer.

I have a Fisher Homesteader on it. I do 20 driveway accounts.

No problems at all last year. I have been plowing for the last 14 years doing driveways, and am always very careful. More so as to not damage the property, as well as the truck.

As long as you don't go ramming into things you should be fine.
  3. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

But - what exactly constitutes ramming into things? I have commercial plowing experience from years ago and there is a certain amount of 'ramming' needed to bank the snow up. I remember getting decent speed across a parking lot, letting off just before the banks, and lifting the plow as momentum took me into the pile and banked the snow up.

I think this method should not be a problem and I'm not going to do commercial stuff now, or not much of it at least. But, I guess I am just looking to prevent trouble....

The reason I ask is that I had a welder custom install my plow since Curtis does not make a mount for the explorer. He stated that he has seen explorers bend the frame near the shock area and he has repaired them.
  4. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I never let momentum take me into a snowbank. I do a controled lift under power and have never had a problem stacking.

I would think running into the bank with momentum will cause damage to any SUV used for plowing.

All of the above is just my opinion.
  5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

They are pretty tough trucks. I had a '97 XLT that was one of the best cars we ever owned. I never used it for plowing but I was considering it before I bought the silverado. The good things about them is they are small, maneuverable, and really comfy. The bad things are of course a weaker suspension adn transmission. If you go easy on it and only do small areas, and plow with the storm you should be fine. How big is the plow?
  6. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

Its a 7' Curtis Home Pro. Poly blade. Truck is a 97 Sport. I replaced the torsion bars with "1' bars (the strongest) and put HD shocks on the front. It now only drops 1/2" when I lift the plow.... was gonna put Timbrens on it but for now I don't think they are needed.

I was thinking about boxing in the frame but it looks pretty congested around the shock area.... will just have to take it easy.
  7. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

you should be all set
  8. Tomtsled

Tomtsled Junior Member

They have one of the weakest transmissions ever put in a vehicle.
  9. crmagr2

crmagr2 Junior Member

Where is the proof that they are one of the weakest ever??. I have a 95 explorer with the original transmission and just rolled over 288000 miles.The fluid and filter has been done regualrly, as well as a flush done several times. I think the longevity of a transmission often depends on how it is used and serviced.
  10. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I dont think you will be ramming much with an Explorer...even with some weight in the back your not that heavy...your not gonna push back too many big piles...this is why the first few storms you plan ahead by pushing off the driveways a little further than normal...this way when your 5 or 6 storms deep in the season and the snow is adding up its not overtaking your customers driveways...last year was a prime example up here in New England area...