1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Explorer Sport Trac

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cja1987, Feb 29, 2004.

1. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Iam asking this question for a friend who owns a parking lot about 70 feet wide by about 100 yds long. The lot is half gravel and half paved but may be all paved by next snow season. He has an explorer sport trac 4X4 and wants to put a plow on it. He tried snowsport for a year but it did not do the job for him. Does anyone know how well this vehicle would handle a plow as far as the frame goes? Does anyone have any experience mounting a plow on this truck or has anyone seen or used a plow on this vehicle. I havent even seen a real plow on one. I recommended and he agreed that he should stay away from a homesteader or suburbanite as they are not going to be strong enough. I understand that the things not going to accept a fisher rd but i was thinking more along the lines of a snoway, they know how to make GOOD light duty plows unlike fisher and western IMO (hsteder, suburbanite). I also saw on their website that meyer makes a real small plow too but i would have to see it up close. Right now iam thinking snoway good idea or not?

Thanks for any info. iam going to do some more research my self and find some more info on the front end and frame of the truck.:waving:

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

My boss (Fire Chief) has a Fisher Homesteader on his Ford Ranger and absolutely loves it.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

awestern suburnanite or fisher homesteader

4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I, personally, haven't heard so much bad stuff about the homesteader or suburbanite to warrant a warning against them for a light duty, minimal use truck. They are designed pretty much for that exact type of application, as far as I understand.

-Jer

5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

The sport trac cant handle much more then a homesteader, suburbanite,and maybe a sno-way without taking a bad beating.I have seen the homesteader on a few and havnt heard of any major problems.

6. cja1987

I would have no problem with homesteader but this guy thinks his lot is too big for it. I kind of agree with him, i think he will end up puting a snoway on it, the largest size it can handel.

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I find it interesting that you talk about snoway who is not a sponsor of this sight, but don't mention our above listed sponsors products. All or most have a plow for that vehicle. Just a thought.:waving:

8. cja1987

I Mentioned fisher and western and meyers above all are soponsers all were taken into careful consideration. But iam not buying the plow my friend is. I neglected blizzard 680 too;) which would also be a great LD plow. I just happened to get the idea from looking at snoway plows that they look stronger then the other brands LD plows (homesteader,suburbanite). But the fact that you (bolts indus) replied now has me thinking that the blizzard 680 is a TOUGH small plow that would be better than a homesteader. As far as not mentioning the sponsers, who cares, certaintley not me. I have never been very brand loyal and i buy what works for me its my (or in this case my friends) $3500 USD.
    Still trying to find the right plow all will probley be considered again:D

9. Bolts Indus.

Glad to hear that. The $3500 dollar price. What does that include? Just would like to compare. Thanks.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For what it's worth, you and your friend are short-changing a couple of really good personal use plows. Both the Homesteader and Suburbanite are well-built plows for that type of plowing. I would be very interested in knowing how you came about your assesment of these plows.

Seventy feet by 100 yrds is not too big for the plow but it might be too big for the truck. It could be done even with that truck if you went about it sensibly.

11. cja1987

$3500 USD is a rough estimate to buy a smaller LD plow and have it installed, did not look up the exact prices but i could get you them in USD.

12. cja1987

Mick

Maybe your right, this guy is really reluctent to get a plow that he does not think is "tough enough" i have heard bad things on this site about the suburbanite and homesteader, but maybe i should just wait until i use one some day to formulate an opinion. I just think that there are other plows like blizzard 680 and snoway that would work good on the truck and maybe ??? hold up a little better. Secondly about the truck its no 1 ton but should be ok for the job. Have to obviousley add some timbrens and a trans cooler at minimum.

13. Bolts Indus.

cja1987:
    I would be interested in the price if you would be so kind. Thanks

14. sgrprincees

sgrprincees Junior Member

I don't know about how the plows would hold up, but I would bet that the truck will be the weak link.

15. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

I know people talk down about snow bear plows, but I have one on a mountaineer and have had no problems plowing parking lots. I 've even down a parking lot that was like 100 x 300 that was half paved half gravel. I use it to do residential driveways and 3 parking lots. Just an idea.

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

How about a Myer 2 meter? Small, lighter than a 7.5 and steel.
    If he's just doing one parking lot all he needs is the biggest battery he can fit on the tray and watch his volt meter. Take his time and don't beat the truck it should hold up well. Take the plow off after wards unless it's going to snow again soon and the front end should not suffer much. I put 4 hard seasons on a Bronco II with the weaker Dana 28 front axle, I had to replace 2 axles shafts because of U joint failure. Other then that it worked over 500 hours of plowing. Add a towing transmission cooler he's set.

17. cja1987

Thanks everyone!! You guys keep giving me ideas.

18. JohnPTibbs

JohnPTibbs Junior Member

For $3500.00 he could buy a 3/4 ton chevy with years of life left and not destroy his wifes sport trac.

19. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Something tells me he has already made a decision. :rolleyes:

20. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

:rolleyes: Hey I'd like to put a 9 foot v plow on the front of the little woman's grand am, is this feasible?