1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Explorer help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JohnPTibbs, May 21, 2005.

1. JohnPTibbs

JohnPTibbs Junior Member

Hi there,
    This site has helped me with plenty of problems in the past with my plow trucks, I am hoping for a little help with my girl friends explorer. She has a noise that gets real loud at 40 mph, her tires were mutilated, so I thought thats where the howl was coming from. I put four new tires on, and new pads and rotors front and rear, but the noise is still there. Upon further inspection, the noise goes away completelty if I turn the wheel to the right. Wheel bearing??? If so which one, the one under load or not under load, and how bad of a job, are they pressed in, I have never worked on one of these besides maintenance stuff, so any help is appreciated. The noise doesn't change if vehicle is in neutral either. Any help you can give me is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Get the single model manual for it at an auto parts store. IF it's anything like my Bronco II (it should be) the bearings are in the rotor hub, you have to have the bearing races pressed out and new pressed in. You will probably need a special socket and a good torque wrench to do the job.
    You need the manual don't fly blind because the new bearings will not last 50 miles if it's not done right. It also tells you how to service the locking hubs.

3. Gbud

Gbud Junior Member

Ball Joints cause noise too

I had a similar problme on my 97 exploer. - replaced the lower ball joints and noise is gone.