1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Explorer for a plow vehicle

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Idaboui, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Idaboui

Idaboui Junior Member

How is an explorer for a plow truck. I am looking to plow my apartment building lot and about 10 driveways. An explorer would make a good vehicle because it looks good for my job (Real Estate Sales) and would be enough of a truck for my rental business. Halling materials/supplies inside and on a trailer. I do the maintenance and repairs.

Second choice is a 4 door f150. But I prefer a smaller vehicle.

Any input is appreciated.

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I have a buddy that plows with his explorer...does quite well.

3. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

i'd go with the f-150 build stronger i'd think.

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

or find F150 or F250 with short bed would be good if you can't find then try bronco.

Explorer would do but it more light duty plow.

5. Idaboui

Idaboui Junior Member

Thanks for the replies.

I figured a F150 would be a better vehicle for plowing, better yet a 250.

I talked to a snoway dealer and they said a plow for an explorer would not be warrantied if it was used on anything more than a personal driveway or two and they can tell if the plow has been used for more than personal use. I am really not worried about the warranty or maybe I should be after hearing that.

I just really want to know if the vehicle (Explorer) is suitable for my intended use. Say a 20 space parking lot and 10 driveways. I'm sure the user will have a lot to do with it. I would be the only user and not in a hurry, so no pounding piles and not F, R, F, R, F as fast as I can to make up time & money.

Thaks for your replies.

6. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

i still would go with the f-150 if you want to look nice then just get a lariat or harly davdison better yet or if u really want something classy get a lincon mark

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

You know another option would be to use the money of a new plow and just buy a beater truck with a plow already. shoot there is an old 250 over here for 500 bucks with a meyers plow on it....

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can plow driveways with a ATV or a lawn tractor, lots of guys do. I would imagine you could do your parking lot with one, IF you Plow with the storm. I have installed 22 series on explorers with good success. A lot of the concern with warranty is customer expectation, if you think the warranty is about bent moldboards and broken wear edges from the behavior you say you do not intend to partake in, you will not have a warranty. if you think it's about broken welds, or leaking hydraulics warranty won't be an issue.

9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

i think you should save yourself the hassle of plowing and get in touch with me, and I will provide you with a very competitive bid for that parking lot and driveways.

10. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I plowed 18 driveways last season with my Explorer - truck did awesome. You just have to be careful as you said you were going to be anyways. I have the Fisher, the Sno-Way 22 series is nice as well. I didn't have a Sno-Way dealer close by.

[​IMG]

11. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

just go easy on it, the front ends on those SUV's aren't built to handle that much abuse, neither are the transmissions

12. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

I just installed a Curtis Home Pro on a 97 sport. Time will tell how it does. There is a full frame but I wonder how strong it really is.....