1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Expert opinions please.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ian03, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

I want to go out on my own this year but don't currently have a plow. Right now I am offering a LARGE discount for prepaid customers to build the capital to buy my own plow and sander. Am I going about this wrong? Should I be looking to local companies for a job maybe and have one of them eat the plow cost in exchange for my services this upcoming winter?

Really at a loss here but need to get this handled in time for the first snowfall.
    I really am not trying to be a low baller but am giving big breaks to friends and family who are coughing up the coin this early to help me get started.

2. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I'm no expert...

But in my opinion do you need a sander your first year? Maybe you're going for commercial accounts, if so, I have no experience, but none of my residentcials are big enough to demand a sander. My little walk behind broadcast spreader does a fine job. In fact,call me crazy, but if I even get a small commercially lot this year with salting I'll probably be running behind the spreader(could I sue myself for a slip and fall :D ) I don't see a big problem with your way of generating revenue as long as you don't need a lot in the middle of the season, since most of your accounts will already be paid for. Could you get a credit card to put the plow on?

I see you're thinking of a 7.5' blade. I don't know about Chevys, but with my F250 extended cab long bed, the 7.5' can't cover the rear tire tracks in a turn.

I'm sure others will come along with some better advice. Good luck.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Agreed, skip the sander until you have the justification for it. I assume you're thinking of getting a tailgate model (that 1500 won't handle a Vbox and the tailgate model will seriously overload it). You might get the tailgate, then decide you really need the Vbox. A 3/4 ton will handle a tailgate, but you'll need a one ton for a Vbox.

If you can spare the bucks, then get a one ton and Vbox; the business will come. If you can't spare the bucks, stick with the 7.5' plow for this year. If you've got somebody who wants sanding, see if a broadcast spreader will work or re-evaluate getting the sander.

If you already know the basics of plowing, I'd say strike out on your own. Otherwise, think about working for someone for experience. The 7.5' is fine for a 1500.

Give yourself room to grow every year.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  4. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

call me crazy but you seem to be going about this the wrong way. first what happens if you dont generate enough money to buy plow and spreader. you are going to get a bad reputation before you even own a plow becuase you cant plow anyone. maybe you should try and get a job plowing for someone else with there equipment before you go taking money from people and dont know what your doing yet. any way you go good luck

5. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Psdf350

I see your point and have a backup. I mentioned to a friend who is another board member here and he agreed that for the money if i get stuck he would do the few accounts for the money because they are convenient to him location wise.

I am not concerned about this though as I could cover the cost out of pocket. I really don't want to do this as I am working on buying my first home and have been married for just 4 months. I don't want to start a fight by dipping into the family piggy bank just to buy a winter toy like this.

I will hold off on the sander, maybe a little overkill for just some residential work I agree. Thanks so far on the input, wish you all a safe and profitable season.

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

if it's just a toy i can see your point. but if it's a business move there shouldn't be a problm. good luck and congrats on the nubtuals

7. liberty plowing

liberty plowing Junior Member
    from 6

I also agree a sander is only needed for mid to large commercial lots. A pile of sand in the truck a spreader and a shovel are all you need to sand small commercial and residential.
    As far as the plow a 7.5 is great for a 1500. Fisher plows are the best IMO.
    you could look for a used plow.Good luck do some snow dances :bluebounc

8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

7.5 is great for the truck, you don't need a sander yet. Good Luck.

9. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Thanks alot guys.....

Gonna skip the sander this year, might do the sand and shovel thing for those that request the service. Let's pray for snow!!