1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Experienced Subs Please Step Inside!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mrplow247, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Mrplow247

Mrplow247 Member

Ill make this a simple question, Thumbs Up

Do you guys make enough money as a sub to not have another job, seems impossible o be able to sub and work.

i would like to know your situations, how do you do it, how do you get paid when the white stuff isnt flying, and what do you do in the spring, summer and fall :confused:

thanks guys
  2. bah1491

bah1491 Member

I am currently in college at OSU and I have three sub contracted trucks in zanesville, ohio. Ive been subbing for about three years now, and have steadily added a truck per year. During the summer I operate a lawn and landscape business.

As far as the payment::dizzy:

I usually get called out with about an inch and a half of snow, and usually each truck is out no less than five hours. The most difficult part about subbing is that I cannot have hardly any of my own accounts. When it snows a decent amount their is no possible way for any of my trucks to tend to my own work without violating the contract. Of course I could if I wanted to but I will obviously have to record for the time that I wasn't on a contractors job.

I must say that times get VERY, VERY tight during the winter. My sub contractors contract that I signed states that payment is NET 45 days.....That makes things very difficult especially when we have several snows that eat up the operating costs.....

I dont plan on doing this forever, but It has worked out well for me and my business's development.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I only sub in the winter months as my main work is summer and fall building boat docks and moving boat lifts
  4. Brian in MO

Brian in MO Junior Member
    from NE MO

I sub to a local landscaper, he has a lot of accounts and I am usually out 5-9 hours. I also have a few accounts of my own which are low priority type i.e. churches, will calls, driveways, etc. so they can be done as much as a day later for most storms. My main income is as a equipment operator which is pretty slow this time of year anyway and the guy I plow for is aware of my "real job" and understands that it is possible I could be unavailable (not very likely to happen) btw he is also has worked as a operator so he knows how it works. It works well for both of us he gets a experienced, insured, (can take care of himself) sub, and I get a little extra income for my winter business.
  5. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I sub for a large landscape company in town. since i own and operate a landscape company there is no such thing as work this time of year. i make real good money subbing and once im done with their lots i go and do my driveways so i make out very well when it snows.
  6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Im pretty sure this is a question only YOU can answer. We dont know what your monthly house bills are nor do we know any of your other bill amounts for the month. On top of that we have no idea what you are going to be getting paid as a sub and how many breakdowns you will have for the season. Also dont know how much snow will fall this season either. See where Im getting at? There is no way in hell any of us can answer any of those things and those are all questions you should be thinking of before you start subbing. Most you cant answer. Its a crap shoot as your dealing with the weather. Where one guys says yes he makes a decent living subbing another will say no its just a supplement. Some live where snow falls weekly and others not so much.

Personally I wouldnt count on snow as being my only money maker around here. Your area may be different. I own a custom remodeling business also so subbing for plowing is a nice usually headache free (from a money collecting and general BS standpoint) income. Plus the guy I run with Ive known for awhile and I help run it when he needs me.

Most guys are in the landscape and lawncare industry when not plowing. Some in other construction industries also like myself. You need to sit down and think all of this stuff out as its NOWHERE as easy as you think its gonna be. Read ALOT and make sure its what you wanna do.
  7. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I get paid per lot and I can make 500 in about 6 hrs. I then have the opportunity to do more of his lots for him if I want. He will also pay me to run his skid on my lots if the need snow moved and what not for about 60 an hr using my truck to haul. I also have some drives and another commercial lot. I have made a lot of money this year. I also do landscaping in the winter.
    Also I am running my truck so I dont have the cost of a labor which would obviously take a chunk out of that and I would be a lot less.