1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Experienced my first full moldboard trip while in full V!!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mopard, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Got a call yesterday to open up a long narrow cottage laneway that hadn't been plowed in quite some time ... the tennants came home earlier than planned. I don't normally even consider such jobs and just advise them to call someone with a loader but it was for a good customer and it was pretty mild & sunny so the snow would be softened up some ... figured I'd go have a look anyway and maybe test out the new Boss.
    It looked like an ATV or a small light duty blade had been used previously and it was in pretty rough shape. There was a pretty deep hard packed base on top of the gravel but in full v the VXT was peeling it up pretty good .. a little more with each pass. I knew it was gonna grab a hold of something that wasn't gonna move sooner or later so I was travelling slowly but still had to stay on the power to keep pushing forward. Sure enough, I was getting very close to the finish I wanted and just started seeing gravel here and there when she caught some ice that wasn't going anywhere. The blade went into full trip and I just kept rolling ... before I even had time to react really, the blade (still in full v) had returned to the upright position like nothing had really happened. I'd been dreading the day when I hooked into something that didn't want to move while pushing in full v but much to my surprise it went a lot smoother than expected. I watched the wings fold over and point to the ground then they just rolled back upright ... and all pretty smoothly. For a split second it looked like I was gonna run over the plow but it actually worked very well.
    Now, I wouldn't compare my experience to hitting a protruding manhole cover off-center at 30 mph but I really was surprised how smoothly the whole process went with the hardpack/ice at slow speed ... moving just fast enough to keep rolling forward but pushing pretty hard.
    Anyhow, just thought I'd share the experience. We've all read about guys tearing up their truck and plow while catching something in full v ... here's one for the good guys. I know it won't likely go so smoothly next time, especially if the obstacle is unexpected, but it's reassuring to know at least that it works as it should if you're paying attention. :cool:
  2. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Sounds good! And you made out alot better; than the guy, that hit his and went right up into his visor, and cut his head wide open, and knocked himself out ! I love the part were you said "it looked like you were running over the plow" good luck with it and hopefully you will never hit the same thing going 15-20mph? :eek:
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

My Boss 9-2 V trips at least 5 times per Winter--really not a big deal.It's there to protect the plow,truck,and you.Guys that plow too fast and with an obstacle[snow,ice,log,curb,etc.]high up on the moldboard are the ones who might get hurt.
  4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

so you were in scoop mode? V is with wings pulled back. Ive had it trip when in scoop and V, gotta love these plows.
  5. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

lol, yeah I've heard of guys bangin' their heads off the roof too ... first time I heard of someone actually knocking themselves out though. Yep, speed kills lol. Hope he was alright in the end.
    Yeah, I guess common sense and knowing your route well should help many avoid such obstacles ... that said, accidents happen and we all get frustrated and a little rammy on occasion.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I almost knocked myself out a few times with my v plow.
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Laying on the road in front of it doesn't count! :laughing:
  8. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

id like to see some pictures of your truck please
  9. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Here's one.
    Then there's a few more pics HERE if you want.